BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the mid and upper river today. Water is getting better. Really clear upper river. Saw some big splashes on the mid . Must of been a spring . Landed a chrome sockeye today but no springs. Still waiting. BB's were out today, must be a pain in the ass getting snagged every second cast. All in all a very pleasant day out :peace:,
Sam

·
Registered
875 Posts
There is now a new type of bottom bouncing going on that I have noticed. These guys are fishing with a float, but their float is set 6 feet above their 2 once weight and then have a 10 foot leader. I guess its a little better as now we can see their line and won't get tangled but its still the same method ::) As far as Springs go there are quite a few in mid, fish close to the edge, they seem to be in the shallower, slower water within 2 feet of the edge. For some reason they are also holding in backwater, saw 2 jump on sunday on the edge of a backwash.

Recent water condition : Came over bridge 20 mins ago..... Mid/lower must have dropped another 6 inches since 6 this morning on my way to work. Water has also cleared ALOT and looks to be about 3 feet visibility, definatley a good time to get out, gonna try some roe tonight, possible some prawns and spoons :thumbup:

See everyone out there. Tight Lines :cheers:
Dan

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
That is not a new type of bottom bouncing
Ayup! This is how the fishing tackle shop in Port Alberni advertises how to catch sockeye in the Somass system (the last time this fishery was open).

However short floating will produce more hook-ups in the right type of water!...escpecially today
Yes it will, but this method that is normally used for steelhead, also 'lines' a lot of fish where salmon are stacked up so I would be careful advocating this method as well. I agree it should be used in the 'right' type of water.

·
Registered
85 Posts
well! getting back to the catching fish and letting everyone know that the springs are in and all you need is to put the time and try a few things it will pay off. Anyways, my point is that i was out saturday and sunday, first thing saturday. I was up river, seen lots of socks a few being hooked but no springs tried a few things, well nothing. Then i moved to a diff spot. Few casts, and tried a couple of things, so decided to try a little pink wool, and i started to feel hits, but could not connect. So i timed my cast and the others around me and managed to hit the sweet spot, sure enought as soon as the hook hit the water the line just took of upstream. knew right a way what it was, babied it, as i only had 10 lbs leader and it felt like a monster, long story short, a nice looking silver bullet about 9 or 10 lbs, in the freezer now, hehe. Afew casts later samething but this time it cut accross towards me in a hurry(sock) big too about 6lbs. Safely released, and got back to fishing. Talk to a couple of buddies for a little so i figure i'll give another try, hooked a couple more socks. fished another 5 min and i felt a tugg in my line so i thought that some was reeling my line in, but then the beast jumps and takes of up the fast water tried to hold in and the it takes off downstream and up and down, for about 10 min. Got it close to shore and thats when i saw it. A giant 20 plus spring red as the red in our awsome national flag. Completly red, so i got in the water took the hook of and a quick pic and back it went.I made sure it swam away i sat in the water with it for about ten mins.So i hope that my hard worked of. and that was just saturday will post later about sunday.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
pepasnatcher said:
well! getting back to the catching fish and letting everyone know that the springs are in and all you need is to put the time and try a few things it will pay off. Anyways, my point is that i was out saturday and sunday, first thing saturday. I was up river, seen lots of socks a few being hooked but no springs tried a few things, well nothing. Then i moved to a diff spot. Few casts, and tried a couple of things, so decided to try a little pink wool, and i started to feel hits, but could not connect. So i timed my cast and the others around me and managed to hit the sweet spot, sure enought as soon as the hook hit the water the line just took of upstream. knew right a way what it was, babied it, as i only had 10 lbs leader and it felt like a monster, long story short, a nice looking silver bullet about 9 or 10 lbs, in the freezer now, hehe. Afew casts later samething but this time it cut accross towards me in a hurry(sock) big too about 6lbs. Safely released, and got back to fishing. Talk to a couple of buddies for a little so i figure i'll give another try, hooked a couple more socks. fished another 5 min and i felt a tugg in my line so i thought that some was reeling my line in, but then the beast jumps and takes of up the fast water tried to hold in and the it takes off downstream and up and down, for about 10 min. Got it close to shore and thats when i saw it. A giant 20 plus spring red as the red in our awsome national flag. Completly red, so i got in the water took the hook of and a quick pic and back it went.I made sure it swam away i sat in the water with it for about ten mins.So i hope that my hard worked of. and that was just saturday will post later about sunday.
Post the pic :D

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Sounds like an excellent time pepasnatcher, the idea of mixing up your offerings is a
sign of a true sportsman.
I am left wondering what your method or tell tail markings you look for when identifying
a red spring....Thanks for bring this topic back.

:beerchug: Marko

·
Registered
85 Posts
Tanks it was a pretty good day. the way i to tell is to get out as much as possible and try to catch as much as possible,and when targetting one specie it makes it really easy, the way each play and pull is unique so its tattoed in my head,thats just my way. good luck out and hope to see some of you guys out there in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Probably has his sweet spot in it (scenery), so it won't get posted, but thats ok. Keep the spot to yourself so that it doesnt get overrun with flossers and snaggers :wallbash: Hopefully I can land a few before the season is over. Will def have to try pink wool now :happy:

Tight lines :cheers:
Dan

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Completly red, so i got in the water took the hook of and a quick pic and back it went.I made sure it swam away i sat in the water with it for about ten mins.So i hope that my hard worked of. and that was just saturday will post later about sunday.
Pic?

·
Registered
789 Posts
you have to upload them to your photobucket www.photobucket.com register a free account, once you up load it the picture will apear then there will be some links under it, you want to hold down your left mouse button (Highlights the file) the file your wanting to use is the last one the "URL" copy the link and paste it in your post when you copy the link to your post and click the post button when your done the picture will show up for everyone to see

Hope this doesnt confuse you

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.