BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after yesterday fun on the run, I could not resist when my friend suggested to go again today. Oh, I will always remember this weekend. It's like a fishing marathon. :happy:
I've never fished 2 days straight before. We hooked into twice more amount of sockeye than yesterday, all safely released without any salmon net involvement this time ( "special" for fish police :beerchug:). Sockeye kept biting and biting, they are like that small fish parasite that takes your worm of hook at Bunzen lake when you fish for trout :wallbash: Same way sockeye they were dominant on the run and "were not giving springs chance to bite" :wallbash: Then sockeye disappeared again. You know what happened next. Yes we got one nice 67 cm spring, then sockeye fish play again for another hour or so, then we got very nice 72 cm spring. :thumbup: At that point we decided to leave as we were very tired after two days of fishing and hiking, and there was no point to stay for sockeye fish play, and there was no way we could get less than 62 cm spring we assumed ...

One way or another this was my best fishing weekend ever :thumbup: Do you think river will still have bright springs next week-end?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Giuseppe said:
hey, this sounds another gorgeous day! good for you!
I am wondering, did you use (red and black) wool again yesterday?

Giuseppe
oh, no, forgot to mention. good you asked. Red and black did not work much. Instead bright red or bright orange.
Lesson learned - on Saturday it was cloudy overcast first half of the day hence more darker presentation works better, Sunday was very bright sunny day - I guess bright presentation works best. Water clarity was same on both days. I am still learning about colors of presentation and how this relates to weather and color of the river. So far Bass fishing pro game on Xbox and how they explain theory about color dependencies works :thumbup: If anybody knows any links on Internet where I can read more on this let me know, I am eager to learn more in this area.

·
Registered
648 Posts
spent 14 hours on the river yesterday, and if I had a buck for each smolt that we hooked, or just plain stole the bait... as for sockeye, if they're going to bite all day, I'll bring my steelhead rod, and have a little fun, and take my chances on having to break off a spring. Did have two headshaking handshakes, but unfortunately, those were the two that got away. Thanks for the great day, Bentrod! ;D

·
Registered
517 Posts
nayhkilas said:
Giuseppe said:
hey, this sounds another gorgeous day! good for you!
I am wondering, did you use (red and black) wool again yesterday?

Giuseppe
oh, no, forgot to mention. good you asked. Red and black did not work much. Instead bright red or bright orange.
Lesson learned - on Saturday it was cloudy overcast first half of the day hence more darker presentation works better, Sunday was very bright sunny day - I guess bright presentation works best. Water clarity was same on both days. I am still learning about colors of presentation and how this relates to weather and color of the river. So far Bass fishing pro game on Xbox and how they explain theory about color dependencies works :thumbup: If anybody knows any links on Internet where I can read more on this let me know, I am eager to learn more in this area.
??? ??? ??? I spent 8 hour sunday in four different places trying thousands of combinations of different colors ??? ??? and I don't think I was in the wrong place since the salmons were playing all around me. tomorrow I am going very very early, maybe they bite early in the morning more than the rest of the day...

Giuseppe

243 Posts
nayhkilas said:
I've never fished 2 days straight before. We hooked into twice more amount of sockeye than yesterday, all safely released without any salmon net involvement this time ( "special" for fish police :beerchug:). Sockeye kept biting and biting, they are like that small fish parasite that takes your worm of hook at Bunzen lake when you fish for trout.
Wow, 24 sockeye in less than a day on the river is amazing considering that they are known for their non biting qualities in the rivers. Maybe you could share you technique with us and help to dispell the myth that sockeye do not consistantly bite in fresh water.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Kryptonite said:
nayhkilas said:
I've never fished 2 days straight before. We hooked into twice more amount of sockeye than yesterday, all safely released without any salmon net involvement this time ( "special" for fish police :beerchug:). Sockeye kept biting and biting, they are like that small fish parasite that takes your worm of hook at Bunzen lake when you fish for trout.
Wow, 24 sockeye in less than a day on the river is amazing considering that they are known for their non biting qualities in the rivers. Maybe you could share you technique with us and help to dispell the myth that sockeye do not consistantly bite in fresh water.
you have a good point there, we were fihsing mid river and a decent sized school of sockeye came through in front of us, and there were so many sockeye jumping no more than 4 feet away from us,there had to be at least 25 sockeye cruising in front of us and only 2 willing biters..... how did you get 25 of them ???

·
Registered
875 Posts
I would like to know this too, I have however had some sockeye bite, but not that many. In the last 2 days I have hooked 6 sockeye and landed 3, all of them were short floating with a 1 foot leader on 3 diff colours of wool. They seem to be keying on in the pink colours during the day and as soon as the sun is off the water go to purple. There are a ton of flosser/snaggers out ther right now though :wallbash: Last night pissed me off so bad because I hooked 1 fish and 5 mins later all the bottom bouncers off the other side of the river had moved to my side within 10 feet of me :wallbash: I try not to say much because Im small and don't wanna start a tussel but seriously people, learn some edicate :naughty:

As far as springs go, there are quit a few around but I seem to be having a hard time getting them on anything besides roe, which I dont want to buy any more of since I'm leaving for Oregon in 3 days. Everyone seems to be flossing them out right now, which is kind of sad, but I know some very good rods that are even switching to this "method" right now :-X I guess if you do you are only going to blend into the crowd becase I have only seen 3 people so far (including me) this week out of like 30+ that havn't been bottom bouncing and dredging out the holes with a 6 foot leader :wallbash: I can say however that the short floaters seem to be doing much better this week from what I have seen :thumbup:

·
Registered
648 Posts
well, yesterday we fished with 18" or so leader, and hooked more than a dozen fish. By the end of the day, the dredgers had spooked just about every fish in the system. I never knew that your float was supposed to be horizontal while drifting, er, I mean dragging. ::) :wallbash:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We had one flosser/bottom bouncer who tried to stand right in between me and my friend and we were float fishing. Since we were nice guys and we allowed him to stand there, however after he floseed the fish and while trying to land it fish unhooked and all his weight and hook flied right into my hand, I told him that he better go somewhere with his bottom bouncing between two float fishers, he said something about that it does not matter what fishing methods people use or something like that and stayed, later after his 100 lb line flied right into my neck I nicely told him to go away, we "made" him to go :wallbash:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
fisherman20 said:
I laughed the entire time reading your post lol infact I still am, reminds me of how my friends 7 year old son would write.....BTW, keep flossin' and trying to hide it buddy!

I am not sure I understand your comment about flossing and hiding ... I am not sure how you can floss with with 18-20 inch leader under float .. please explain your comment
As for the 7 years old ... well fact that English is not my mother tongue language can probably explain...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.