BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Just a quick report here. I hit the Chilliwack today. Just my third outing. Water was very coloured and high. Virtually no visibility! If anyone is thinking of hitting it this weekend, you might want to reconsider and earn some brownie points with your significant others! ;)

· Registered
276 Posts
Hey Guys,

Thought that I'd post this up on here, as I think it is valuable for people who are struggling a bit this year. I think alot of people missed it where it was previously posted. Hope this helps some people

This is only my second season on the vedder. Last year I did well when the water was clear and the fish were holding more in the deeper pools and runs. Early this season I was probing similair waters with little success. So I changed my game plan and started picking up fish in shallow pocket water on a regular basis. As far as the numbers being down I don't think that is the case, I just think that the locals who fish the same areas year after year aren't finding fish in those spots. Sometimes people get stuck in fishing the same types of water year after year, and that kind of mindset just doesn't cut it when it comes to steelheading in changing river conditions. Such is the case on the Vedder this year I think. Alot of fish were taken last year because the fish were very predictable, anything with some good depth and moderate to slow flow was holding fish, and usually good numbers of them. Throughout the day these fish would turn on and off. It was not uncommon to hit up to 10 steelies a day out of the same hole towards the end of the season. However this year with the water being high the fish are spread out and holding in less than ideal looking areas. You have to remember that the river looks alot different under the surface. With the added safety of dirtier water a 3' deep set of rapids with some mid sized boulders scattered throughout looks like a great holding spot to a steelhead. 1. The broken water reduces visibility. 2. The boulders provide a great current break. and 3. Food is constsntly being washed past them just inches away from their nose. Keep some of these things in mind the next time your out on the water and some successfull outings are sure to come your way. Those double digit days are going to be hard to come by this year, only due to the fact that the fish are able to use the whole river and not just the deeper areas.

Keep your confidence level up and success will follow.

· Registered
209 Posts
FISHED THE VEDDER TODAY FROM THE TOP DOWN TO KEITH WILSON BRIDGE. SAW SOME FISHERMAN AND NO ONE HAD A BITE. USED ROE/PINK WORM/ DELTA DRIFTER/WOOL TO NO AVAILE. BEST RUNS WERE TAMAHI ON INDIAN SIDE OF RIVER/ LICKMAN ROAD/ RAIL ROAD BRIDGE. LOOKING FORWARD TO RIVER DROPPING AFTER NEXT RAINS. DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE JUST YET AS I CAUGHT MY ONLY STEELHEAD IN VEDDER APTIL 2006.

JIM

· Registered
898 Posts
no need to shout hunterj :eek:
lower case is fine :)
but you are right dont give up yet guys lots of steel fun to come
just the right time right place ;)

· Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Season over? Who said the season was over? It hasn't even peaked yet has it? Maybe just barely. There's much more steel to come! ;D

However, with more rain predicted to fall in the immediate future, I can't imagine the water conditions improving by the weekend. When I was there yesterday, there was no visibility and the water was very high. However when the water comes down and clears up a bit, it will be time to break out the fly gear. :D Right FF? ;)

· Registered
2,676 Posts
Flyfishin Magician said:
However when the water comes down and clears up a bit, it will be time to break out the fly gear. :D Right FF? ;)
It's always time to break out the fly rod. ;D ;D Although it's not looking good for the weekend if this rain keeps falling. :'( :'(Oh well then it'll be a good time and break out the little stick and chase some cuttys. ;D

Finder ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.