BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went fishing early in the morning with my Coho rod in hand. Hit the flow mid river, met up with an older fellow I fished with last time. I fished there for 4 hours and had one Coho hit. The older gentlemen was the only one landing fish. He hooked up a jack spring and a nice 10 lb hatchery Coho - very silver.

I had one bite there all morning and no one really was hitting anything else, I just saw 3 Coho landed all morning. So I decided to leave and head down river to my secret spot to get some large springs. I talked to a couple of guys there, and they were not hitting anything. I saw one guy across the way who just landed a nice Coho, but I had given up on Coho by then and I had my spring rod in hand. I short floated for the springs. I was there less than and hour and had 4 hits, but they kept breaking off, all springs. During that first hour I saw two guys hit a couple of chums.

I was talking to this guy who had never landed a fish short floating, I showed him a few pointers as he was an avid bottom bouncer. He said he wanted me to hook one up before he left so he can see that this float fishing actually works with a short leader; my leader was 18 inches. While I was explaining to the guy that the float sometimes just stops and sinks, and you know the fish has just taken your presentation, a large heavy fish hit my float and this one stuck, and my float dropped and as it took a run down river peeling line off my reel. This one I fought for almost 15 minutes and when I landed and weighed it; it was a close to a 50 lber. Largest spring I've ever caught. This fish was so fresh, and silver it even had a few sea lice on it! The guy I was showing the technique to was happy to see the techinique worked! He decided to stay there a while longer as he had never seen a fish that big in the Vedder before; he was still there when I left.

Took me about 30 minutes to recover. I thanked the fisherman that helped me land it and he gave me a budweiser, so we had a toast for the great fishing and beautiful day. I finally had a breath and wrote it down on my license. We also took a bunch of photos. I'll post them when I receive it from them, I don't usually bring a camera at the river. I'll post the ones I took from home tomorrow.

Afterwards, I decided to show the other guys around me where I was hitting it as I was going to leave soon. I did have time to throw the line in a few more times. In 4 cast I had two hits, one of them jumped out and it looked a lot bigger than my 50 lber; it just shook my line off. And on the last one I hit another one that had it's head shaking like crazy, I handed the rod off to the guy that I was demonstrating the float fishing method to, since I already had my large spring for the day. It took him almost 15 minutes with this one. We weighed it and it came in close to 40. The kid that was there kept the 2nd spring, he was pretty happy. I decided to take off since I had a hockey game later in the evening.

I thought the day was going slow in the morning, but when I moved to another spot it was just great for me... I'll try to get those Cohos tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Sounds like a nice day out there! Congrats on the biggun! They are treemedous fighters.A coupe of years back I got a 60 lb'er on the cap!
So you put on a clinic and it payed off brining some others into the light. :thumbup:
I'm going to try and get out tommorrow and look for some big ones and small ones! Have to see when the warden get home otherwise would have been out sooner!

Hotrod

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thats a pretty clean chinook for its size! And a beast! Yeah theres alot of those big boys around this year. Last week I caught a 42 lber at allison, the fish was so big that all the stomach rubbing it had to do to pull its self upstream had worn away the bottom of its belly and you could see its rib cage! never seen anything like it.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Steely said:
Thats a pretty clean chinook for its size! And a beast! Yeah theres alot of those big boys around this year. Last week I caught a 42 lber at allison, the fish was so big that all the stomach rubbing it had to do to pull its self upstream had worn away the bottom of its belly and you could see its rib cage! never seen anything like it.
That is pretty crazy!

·
Registered
901 Posts
well i think i may have to head out there in the morning(day off)
love to get into one of those
nice monster recklessme :thumbup:
who's heading out there in the morning?
might need someone to help land one :happy:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I'm going out tommorrow! Dawn til dusk! I need a few of those and hopefully go on a little roe collecting mission.

Hotrod

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Very nice job on hooking(and landing you huge spring!) I got one today that was a lil darker but not by much and was at least 50 lbs! Kept it for the smoker! Took 2 people to carry it out it was a monster! Wish i had a scale but mine was just as big as the one in your pic! Great day! :beerchug:

CK

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, coho_killer. I just posted the river photo, that one of the guys I was fishing with was nice enough to email me. Thanks for the photo Hew if you're reading this. I know what you mean about carrying it out; I had to stop 10 times and put the fish down before I got to my car. Congrats on your Tyee also! :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.