BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so finally i decided to get out and fish when my rod has been collecting dust for a long time. It was stupid of me to not bother to get new lines etc, cause i have no idea how long 2 years storage shelf will last. Apparently the big problem for me today was LOSING my hooks, i was tying them property but for some reason they couldn't handle the stress of a 10-20 mins battle. On some occasion i would set the hook only the just completely lose my hook. After being frustrated for 2 hours hooking 10 springs and not being able to land one. I got fed up and just went to the tackle store and got myself 12 pounds fresh leader. Curious note, a fishermen mentioned to me that my leader was way too light, since it was 8 pounds and my main was 15 pounds. Previous years i had no problem landing 20-30 pounds spring but this year i think it was a bust for having them stored for too long, could 8 pounds not handle long term stress of fighting? we all know its going to be a long battle to bring in a spring on centerpin. Now problem was solved no more losing hook but now i was just losing battle left and right after hooking two or 3 more springs (they were spitting them out lol), i guess i was really exhausted fighting spring with centerpin all day T_T. Overall i had a great day in term of just playing with fish. People asked why i used light line? i tell them i am just fishing for the thrill not to take home. On a side note, i also had a coho hook up and it put up a marvelous aerial show but spit my hook out :( couldn't tell if it was wild or not. I saw lots of spring being foul hooked and hooked, couple of coho hooked (few big ones, couldn't believe how big they were). Helped tailed in two guys fish, one guy had a hatch hoe which was a beaut, so nice and chrome. So my day was productive just giving couple of guys some help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey buddy good on you to report and glad you had a good day but I'll let you in on some good info. Everyone wants a good fight but hook it get it in and release it, 8lb test is way to light man. I am not posting this to be a jerk rather to educate you and others. Like I said I'm glad you had a good day , but if we don't change some things this river will be done in.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Sounds like a fun day. Not sure how you had your knots tied, but you could do some research on an egg loop or perhaps bumper knots. Those are always good wraps to know and trustworthy as well.

I'd bump up your main and your leader as well as practice your knots and for sure you will land more fish. If you are merely catching for the fun of it, try a little stronger test to get the fish to shore a touch faster. It fatigues the fish a little bit less with a shorter fight time, while still allowing you more of an opportunity to get the fish in and enjoy your catch.

Have fun out there!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was using the baitloop, as i was using roe. Now about bumping up your leader and main, my cp rod is rated for only 12 pounds test. I was told that 15 pounds was good enough for the rod, anymore makes the rod lose its effectiveness. I have tried 20 pound before and it was not as sensitive as i thought it would be :(. But regardless your are right in that perspective, the gear rod will be coming with me a lot more often now

·
Registered
956 Posts
i was using the baitloop, as i was using roe. Now about bumping up your leader and main, my cp rod is rated for only 12 pounds test. I was told that 15 pounds was good enough for the rod, anymore makes the rod lose its effectiveness. I have tried 20 pound before and it was not as sensitive as i thought it would be :(. But regardless your are right in that perspective, the gear rod will be coming with me a lot more often now
I can appreciate your wanting to adhere to a line rating that has been recommended by the rod manufacturer. But, keep in mind, those are merely recommendations and not set in stone. Each rod manufacturer has their own recommendations and along with that, line ratings are not cut and dry.
I am not saying use 30# mainline on a rod rated 8-12#, but I just wouldn't get overly caught up on certain ratings. I wouldn't get carried away and go double the recommendation but keep in mind, it is just a rating, not doctrine.

Someone else could possibly shed some light on this, but that is merely my take on it. I have rods that are rated 8-17 that I run 20# main and they are perfect. But when steelhead come in, I won't hesitate to drop it back down to 12#.

I don't want to get too far off your original topic and hijack your thread, but I wanted to shed a little insight, at least as far as I understand it.

Thrasher

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I don't want to get too far off your original topic and hijack your thread, but I wanted to shed a little insight, at least as far as I understand it.
Also

For me, I always understood the rods line rating was for the weakest link.
THE LEADER.
If you have a line rating to 17# that would be the heaviest leader you would want to attach to your mainline ( myself I stay at least slightly lighter)
You want your leader to break before your mainline and definitly before your rod.
Another rule of thumb that I grew up with is to make the difference between your mainline and leader at least 5#.
My 2 cents.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts