BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to vedder at first light on Friday morning. Decided to fish Wilson road instead of going to my usual spot, as there was no one else there when I got there. First time fishing the vedder this year as I live in Westbank and schedule does not allow. I was fishing the big pool there for awhile with no luck. Next thing u know three guys came down and started to fish around me. They left enough room for me so that was ok. For those of you that have fished this pool, 4 or 5 is about the max from this spot. About 20 mins later, 6 more guys came down and started fishing this spot. This kind of ticked me off but I didn't say anything, fishing was slow anyway.My opinion is that if I can hit you in the head with my 11' rod than you are way too close!! THis prompted the other three guys to get PO'd and go down river. The other 6 guys left after about 20 mins and i had the pool to myself again. Didn't matter as water was really dark and no fish to be had. WEnt up to the hatchery to have a look around. NOt very many coho up there! Talked to hatchery guys, they are expecting about the same return as last year, not very many. They have all of the eggs they need from the white's though. They were telling me that they were now saving eggs for the Capilano hatchery. NOt sure if cap has a white spring run already, but if not it seems to me that that is a pretty small system to start introducing these monsters into.

Next stop was the meat hole. What a gong show. I didn't even bother to take my stuff out of my truck, just went down to have a look and a laugh. All the things you guys have been saying is true. Ands of course, no DFO to be found. The fish are stacked in this hole and guys were snagging almost every cast. Saw about thirty fish hooked in the half hour I stood there. Saw one guy foul hook a Spring, drag it up onto the beach unhook it and kick it back into the water, only to have it get stuck in about 3 inches of water behind a couple of rocks. The guy walked away and went back to fishing. So I walked down to where the fish was and put it back into the fast water, gave it a chance to get his bearings, and low and behold he swam away! What a concept!!! Saw only one coho hooked ( foul of course) This was suprisingly a good release. Saw another guy foul hook a white, net it drag it up onto the beach and was going to bonk it when i politely told him that he couldn't keep it. He put it back and didn't say anything. This was my vedder adventures for this trip. Going to try and plan a trip to the chehalis in a couple of weeks, hopefully i will have a better weekend on the river!! Thanks for the rant!!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Sounds like typical Vedder river ********! Don't let it discourage you there are alot of good rods out there. Good report it's too bad you didn't have a better day.As for the capilano and the big whites,three years ago I landed a 60lb monster on this system with my two year old son.So the system isn't too small by any means! good luck on the chehalis!

Hotrod

·
Registered
26 Posts
I walked by and saw all the guys in the first hole and laughed.I walked up to the next hole and had it to myself and no one came near me I guess when there's more than 1 person fishing a hole it means there's more fish and if only 1 person is in a spot there's nothing there or there would be more people fish ing it haha................ good for you for saving those 2 srings I applaud you sir

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the Capilano has a springs run. Last year I hooked (and released) one (actually, I hooked a monster trebble hook stuck on its side), the nicest spring I've ever landed. I've also seen other people getting them. I don't know how big is the run, though.

Yopesco

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
yah there's a run, thats why there's an opening for them! My dad took a 40lb out of there, we had a scale, it took him about 30 minutes to bring it in, nice fish! They get big, the biggest i've hooked there is 20lbs nice crome fish!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.