Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello~ Fellas!! ;D

I’ve heard a lot about Vedder reds(springy), but I’ve never caught one!! :wallbash: ???
Anyone knows the size of run and when to start?? ???
I choose Vedder instead of Fraser gongshow this year!! :naughty:
Please let me know!!! :D

Thanks~!!

Bravo~!! :beerchug: :drunk:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I would be looking to the Chilli/Vedder on JUly 1st....Caught some nice early fish last year. Not big, but very tasty.......Just like steelhead season, there are not a lot of fish in the river on opening day, however, if we get a long runoff that lasts thru June, I will bet the fishing will be pretty good......Ortho 8)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes~!! I'll hit the water on July 1st happy re-opening day! :thumbup:

Bravo~ :beerchug: :drunk:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Bravo, drop me a line when the time comes, I will have a new rod built and lots of places I want to check out that I found in Steelhead season. They are tough to find, but when you do you are usually into a fair amount of them. Three years ago I hit a couple on opening day, the next year, was all over the river didn't see any or hook any, and last year I waited a little while, only made it out for a couple hrs, but still was lucky enough to get a couple. The are incredible fighters, but I have not gotten one over 20 yet. My biggest is 19 or so. All the others were between 8-15. ;)

G

·
Vedder Red Springs is a fun fishery, my biggest was just over 20 pounds about 4 years ago, but havent got much close to that size since, mostly 8-15 pounders is the more Normal size for them, but they do get BIG !!!! i have seen a few big ones hitting close to 25 pounds a couple of years when i was on the upper vedder. I will be out on July 1st :thumbup:

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
I must just have a knack for getting the big ones then eh

my first Red was in the fraser last year and was a cool 45lbs :happy: :happy:

and most the ones i get in the Vedder seem to be around high teens right into the 30's but yes there are alot of smaller ones as appose to the whites that average around 25lbs

but who cares cause they taste better anyhow ;D ;D ;D

tight lines

HOOK

·
Registered
816 Posts
The reds tend to eat more squid and shrimp and are more palgic - that's where the red comes from, the protien in shrimp. The white is more piscine or fish eating and agresive, that's why the keype is more obvious. Whites seem to be easier to catch and are the favorite of the hatchery because of that.
Or some guy at a University gave me that wrong info.
Perviously to 1995 whites were alot more rare... or at least I did not catchg any and I caught more chinook that year than any.
Who knows?

have fun, Jason

·
Registered
736 Posts
Not quite right for a college guy! :-\ The difference in meat of the red and white spring has nothing to do with different diets. The difference is indeed due to a genetic influence. White springs cannot ingest carotins found in krill and shrimp, whereas the more common red springs can. Even though they have the same diet. Thus the difference in the taste and look of the meat.

:cheers:

·
Registered
419 Posts
I know they originally were only in the harrison but were they planted fish with the genetic modification or wild stocks?

G

·
I like the Marble Red mixed in with white meat, they tase good as well, but I wil take a red spring anyday over a white

·
Registered
840 Posts
Are you guys comparing fall vedder whites over reds?

I have 1000$ bet if I was to put a summer red and a summer white in front of you blindfolded you cant tell the difference.

Everyone is turned off of whites because we can all rember when we all killed our first stinky fall white. too much fat.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Just to wet a few appetites - here's a photo of a fly caught Vedder red from a few years back:

Not a huge spring - but very nice indeed! My buddy and I both got a nice red that day on the "black and green" - FF you know that fly don't you? Dont' lose the sample I gave you! :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 187 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.