BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently there are none. :cry:

For the most part there are individuals out there that have an idea of what they are doing in regards to angling, and have respect and appreciation for the environment in which they share with others.
Unfortunately we must share our beautiful outdoors with those individuals who don’t give a second thought to anyone else but themselves and couldn’t give a darn about ethics. :x

Case in point,
Bottom bouncing/ jigging for salmon in the Vedder??? :?
Pulling fish out by the rear end and whacking them??? :?

I know most would disagree with me, but I think it might be a good idea to have a mandatory course to obtain a license for fishing as it is for hunting. This way, individuals would have to make an honest effort to at least learn to identify each species of fish (and be able to tell the difference between the head and tail), learn the basics on how to fish for different species using different types of gear, but most important of all would be aware of the fact that there are “REGULATIONS” that are to be followed.

Why do these individuals go fishing??????
It can’t be for the fishing. The methods that are being used are the same as hunting at the zoo, where’s the fun in that? (Hey Joe, shot me a bear down at the zoo today, what do ya say to that eh?) or (Hey Joe, snagged me some coho by the tail today, pretty good eh?) :roll:

If they are fishing to provide food for the table, they’d better recalculate the costs. The last time I checked it’s a whole lot cheaper per pound to purchase the fish at your local store after you buy all the gear, licenses and all the money spent on fuel to drive to the river.

So why do they fish??? I thought fishing was a form of relaxation, appreciating the beauty of our surroundings, and sharing good quality time with our friends and family. Not going to the river and blatantly using methods to harvest fish that contradict good sportsmanship, ethics and regulations. :?

To all of you who share my frustration and disgust don’t let those individuals spoil your day, let’s just stick a barbed hook in their backside and drag them around the parking lot until it rips out. :shock:

My rant of the season, Good day.
:lol:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Stinky, those are some very good points, and a lot of people would agree with you, myself included. I think a lot of these people do like to fish but don't have the patience for it. If you think about it how many people could stand on a river for 10 hrs and not even get a bite? Other than us die hards :wink:

Until the DFO starts implementing stricter angling rules and possibly training (or at least a competency test) as you mentioned, we are going to see this more and more. It is also part of living in an area that is growing so rapidly. Too many people moving here and not enough river.

I personally would like to see a little more ethics with most people on the river. There is just blatent ignortance out there, and man do I hate ignorance. "oh i didn't know you couldn't keep it" is a line I'm sure many of us have heard while reminding someone about the regs. I just try and not let those people get to me, because if they do that means they ruined my day on the river. Just keep fishing and ignore them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Stinky, (cool name) I like your post.

I was @ the Vedder tuesday before last. I've been fortunate to only encounter good fisherpeople (can't be sexist) there, but I have seen some heated exchanges in years past. I decided to not return until we get some rain. I had a great day fishing, but the water was low & clear & I don't feel like pounding skiddish fish anymore. Every 50 casts or so would yield a bite, but I digress. I've heard the horror stories of snagging there, but have yet to see it. I did however, pull a Fraser River style flossing rig out of the canal. That made me sick. What also bugs me: litter; people who don't know a Chinook f/ a Coho, etc.; people who drag fish they are not keeping on the rocks; keeping boots & tomato cans because they are "goog enough for the smoker". I've actually seen the latter two offences @ the Squamish the last couple of years. I felt like an a-hole because I spent a whole day yelling @ people ruining my own day. Therefore Steelie Trav has a good point, as well. Some new fishers deserve some latitude, but should read the synopsis thoroughly, as I did when I moved here f/ the interior many years ago!

I had to vent, too :?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I believe "catch and release" for salmon has to be banned and the posession limit has to be any 2 salmon a day and all species have to be marked on the liscence for annual catch limit.
Then,
-greedy and rude meat fishers will not stay on the river long and less disturb the other ethical anglers
-less harm for upstreaming salmon
-sport anglers will practice more enjoyable and selectively targeting way of fishing.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I have a few words for what I witnessed on the Vedder/Chilliwack on Thursday/Friday
VERY VERY SAD DAY !...Poor fish don't have a chance. Unfortunately, this likely will not change until the water levels come up and they fish might have a fighting chance ......Ortho

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
With the growing numbers of guests and landed immagrants to our wonderful part of the world are we not obligated

to play diplomatic hosts in some form or another without turning a blind eye? I personally found that the language

barior can be insurmountable in bridging the gap even when three quarters of comunications is none verbal.

Sorry guys not an english mager. :lol: :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good post Stinky !! we were at the Vedder today and were disgusted by what we say at the Crossing, I don't understand it either and the biggest problem is that it looks like it is getting worse every year.. I was saying to Merc today how upsetting it is that this river is getting taken over by a bunch of idiots!!!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
This is just left over from the Fraser Meat Fishery hence the reason the Flossing should be closed down. 10 years ago or more to when Flossing wasn't around you only herd about one guy a day maybe fishing this style now it is more and more.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i agree and am also pissed off with people leavin there garbage :evil: was at keith wilson today and i hauled out someones beat up inflatable raft man it took like 15 mins to get it out of the water was a little stuck and had 2 hooks in it

·
Registered
555 Posts
I agree, I was at the stave the other day and there were 2 older guys there when my friend and I got there, and we talked for a minute and they said that they caught one cutthroat. So we started fishing above them aways. Soon they caught another one, and we noticed that it looked like a jack spring. We asked them about it and they said it was a cutty also. We asked them if we could come over and have a look at their fish, and they said sure. We went over and sure enough they had 2 jacksprings hanging on a rope. We argued with them for about 10 minutes about it. The one guy kept saying it had lots of spots and a red slash and no black gums. I finally told him to sniff the fish and see what he thought.He finally agreed with me after smelling the springs distinct smell. Even if they were cuttys they have to be hatchery to keep, and as springs they didn't make the 35 cm size limit. They sheepishly apolagized and left soon after. It made me extremely mad, he kept telling me that I couldn't identify fish, and asking me if I'd read the regs :evil: He though that because he was older that the young guys couldn't be right. Sorry for ranting but I like this thread. I also carried out a bag of garbage from there the other day. It will be packed full again in about 2 weeks :? The stave has to be the worst snag fest around. I've got so many storys that I could fill the forum, but I'll leave it there.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I found ot there are a lot of fishermen,doesnt read their regulation and dont even know how to id the difference, and they just going fishing and bonk what ever,this is really sick,last time i was fishing at the med section at the vedder,saw 2 fishermen wear their expensive wader and gear,try to snag those coho,even though in front of 5 other fishermen,they looks like they are proud of it,it was just sick,i just walk away.stupid idiot :roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
117 Posts
marko said:
With the growing numbers of guests and landed immagrants to our wonderful part of the world are we not obligated

to play diplomatic hosts in some form or another without turning a blind eye? I personally found that the language

barior can be insurmountable in bridging the gap even when three quarters of comunications is none verbal.

Sorry guys not an english mager. :lol: :D
Hatred or blindness?

What have we been doing for hundreds years after landing on a sacred world that was full with respect to the god's every creation?

Guests and immigrants can't be blamed more than ourselves.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers to all who share the frustration of witnessing the degradation of morals and ethics being practiced on our river systems. As witnessed by others the amount of littering that is occurring is unbelievable, I was at Tamahi this afternoon and I could not believe that amount of trash lying around. I can remember when there was virtually no trash to be found anywhere on the systems, but that may have been due to the “resident government employees” who did the local maintenance of the area up until about 4 years ago.

We can all rant as much as we want, but is there something that can be done?

There are those individuals who are new to the fishing scene that are indeed seeking some form of guidance on what etiquette should be followed and perhaps some clarification on interrupting the Regulations, perhaps some of the local tackle shops could host a monthly seminar to help promote proper fishing methods to those who are interested?

For those in reading that may have the “right” connections or contacts would this be something that could be developed? Would this be a realistic approach?? Or is there something already going on like this that many of us may not be aware of.

Perhaps there could be a dedicated “Forum” for individuals to ask specific questions about t etiquette, techniques and regulations

Opinions please………………

On one last note in regards to Marko’s post:
=================================================================
“With the growing numbers of guests and landed immigrants to our wonderful part of the world are we not obligated?
to play diplomatic hosts in some form or another without turning a blind eye? I personally found that the language barior can be insurmountable in bridging the gap even when three quarters of comunications is none verbal.
=================================================================
Why is it always the responsibility of the host country to be obligated to educate individuals visiting from a different country? Is it not the responsibility of the individual who is either visiting or immigrating to a new country to educate themselves of the local regulations and accepted practices in which they wish to visit.?????

Before I fish a river or lake I always check what the regulations are for that specific body of water, it takes 30 seconds!!!! But how many of you can count on your fingers the number of times you have seen some guy chucking lures or spinners on a “FLY” only lake or chucking “BAIT” on a body of water that has a bait ban? I personally would need to use my fingers, toes and every other body part that could be used to count with.

Sorry for the second “rant”, I told myself I would try to stick to only one “rant” per season. I guess I’m good for next season as well,

Cheers. Stinky :) :)

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
when i fished allison pool this morrning there were bottom bouncers there as much as i wanted to express my anger i just got a sore neck from shaking my head!

G

·
After spending 15 minuted reading this thread i have come to agree with all of you. the amount of litter at lakes and rivers and even in parts of the ocean is unbelievable. and to help with the conservation of fish and the surrounding natural environment i would like to ask where i could find out about the fishing regulations for salmon. and C.K. i may have missed something but what is wrong with bototm bouncing on the chilliwack. is it their technique or is there a bait ban or something?

·
Registered
117 Posts
coho_killer said:
hooked about 30 to 40socks yesterday trying to get my spring but no springs!!!!!!!! socks are in full force!!!!!! fishing just below hunter cr...... if ya have a boat you'll get em!!!! no boat no fish from what i hear!!!!!! 2 days on the river hooked over 50 fish no shitalie!!!!! get a boat and hammer on em!!!!! i'm going back fishing!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
coho_killer said:
when i fished allison pool this morrning there were bottom bouncers there as much as i wanted to express my anger i just got a sore neck from shaking my head!
C.K.,
how could you justify your double standards about the bottom bouncing?
Is it completely alright if it is on Fraser but completely unacceptable on Vedder-Chilliwack?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hence the reason Bottom Bouncing aka Flossing shouldn't be aloud anywhere. No need to Bottom Bounce a river it is snagging you might as well put on a Coast Salish Fly and start ripping no difference as the fish arent bitting.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
thats righr IT IS OK to bottom bounce on the fraser for sockeye!!!!!! have you ever caught a sockeye on the fraser by any other method? and seeing that i didn't have bar fishing gear is why i flossed for a spring!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: There are many other ways to hook fish in the vedder than bottom bouncing! thats all!

C.K.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts