BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
SteelieCrazy said:
I think they should just close the whole river to any fishing starting May 1st IMO. Although fly fishing probably is easier on them because less fish get caught. Does anyone know how many drop backs are caught in May?

I agree.
I'd like to see a Fly Only for the last 2 weeks of April.

· Registered
1,160 Posts
Lots of clean fish in the whole fishable section until closing day. You just have to avoid redds. Truth is alot of the "FLY WATER" is actually redds by way of its nature. The Chilliwack has early, mid and late returning fish and
clean fish can be found throughout the river.

Often "uninformed" anglers have a false belief that fishing lower in April is better for the fish when actually it is not, proven fact is many late run steelies are low river spawners and fishing shallow gravelly sections in April is fishing redds. If you are encountering many dark fish in a certain section during April, do not feel they are not spawning because you are low on the river.

As for the May fishery, it is really not well thought out, and truthfully the river is almost always chalky and hardly fishable, but there is the years when it does fish and I myself partake once or twice.

I have read alot of sillyness about closing above the crossing in April. truthfully my experience is some great fish can be found in that section and since the river is far longer than the fishable section, the upper is still protected by way of the regulations.

These comments are almost always put out there by anglers who only fish the lower section, which by the way is not even historically the Chilliwack river, but a man made stream created from draining Sumas lake.

· Registered
34 Posts
Bent Rods is SOOOO right. If you fish the fast water (pocket water particularly) you will get very few dark fish. Usually the colored fish don't travel or like holding in the fast water and chill in the deep pools and gravelly tail outs. There is very few good "Fly areas" in April because as Bent rod stated they are on the redds. I myself stop fishing my spey rod later in the season and take out the gear because I find I get way more nice fish on gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.