BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Float fished roe through a deep channle(approx. 15' deep). Walking speed water. Lower Vedder. Caught/released many 10" trout on spinners. Many SeaDoos, many people floating down the river in inner-tubes and dingys. Many wasted young men jumping off of the bridge. Many people 4X4ing up and down the dyke canal. Many ATVs. Gong show!

Rumours are that it will get better in two to three weeks. If you don't like asshole crowds, hit it on a weekday. Just fake a 24hr flu or food poisoning.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
did i miss something? what was sait about steelhead smolts?arn't smolts like an inch or two long? :?

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
to Cohokiller and others

right now there are ALOT of steelhead smolts which reveal themselves as little chrome ranibows trout in the river usually ranging from anywhere from 6"---14" they ae scrappy little guy however if at all possible

"leave them alone" if you enjoy catching steelhead

and just take note of all the people fishing for them in the canal they hook them and then just "toss" them back into the water. I have too many times seen those little fish floating by DEAD which is a huge shame ans just because someone couldnt release it nicely

i myself target for the springs using ONLY WOOL as i know that the smolties will for sure hit that roe sac

just my two cents

tight lines

HOOK

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hook,

There is a 4 fish limit for any size (up to 50cm) hatchery rainbow on the Vedder. Are you saying that the trout are smolts and not resident? If that is the case, I am wondering why the reg's would allow for a kill fishery that is double most other streams in the province.

Dinsdale

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
It is one of the reasons the Vedder/Chilli is closed in June. This is to allow the steelhead smolts that are yearlings and can be up to a lb. or so in weight to exit the river when the river is higher with the runoff, and they have more cover for escapement. Trouble is, not ALL of them make a quick exit from the river and are easy prey when you use any type of bait or small spinners....If you are catching these little guys, you might want to change the gear to avoid them, as they are your 6-12lb returnees to the river.
The red springs that will soon enter the river will be attracted by larger presentations and colourful wool ties as well as larger spoons/spinners that the smolts are not too interested in.
Please keep them in the water and carefully release if you catch any of these pretty little trout. One of them might end up being your first big steelhead.......Ortho 8)

·
Registered
730 Posts
those aren't little rainbows for the fry pan they are imature steelies my friend, sure they may be tasty but what a shame.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I found this out myself when a local Chilliwack angler POLITELY told me what these little trout were. I haven't fished there for little guys since! Cheers! -Nathan in NW

·
Registered
224 Posts
Point Missed

The consensus here is that these fish are pre-migrant steelhead smolts. My point is, if these are in fact steelhead, why is that not reflected in the reg's. Why has the ministry seen fit to not only allow a kill fishery, but to allow a kill fishery at TWICE the usual rate? As I see it, there are a few possible answers to this conundrum:

1. They are NOT steelhead (or are residualized steehead).

2. They are steelhead, but are surplus, released to provide a summer sport fishery without impacting adult return quotas.

3. The ministry has mis-timed the smolt migration.

4. The ministry has no clue what it is doing.

Dinsdale.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Hey Dinsdale...........I don't agree with any of your points. All of the "smolts" released by the hatchery are adipose clipped fish, so it is really easy to tell if these are resident or not. They should be carefully released. They are not placed there to provide a summer fishery. They are reared in the hatchery for a full year, then released as "smolts" that will return to the Chilliwack in 1-2 years as mature Steelhead.
Some of these little guys hang around the river for awhile before heading to the ocean, and I think that has to do with water temperature. As soon as the water starts to warm a bit, they get out to the Fraser. or they flush out when the springs arrive.
I believe the hatchery program in the Chillie is very sucessful and fisheries does know what it is doing or we wouldn't have to fantastic runs that we have....The Vedder/Chwk. river would be a dead zone without the hatchery and I think they do a good job with it.
It is one of many successful programs throughout the region. Other programs are in place on the Chehalis,Allouette, Stave, Checkamus and a huge number of rivers on Vancouver Island (stamp, Somass Qualicum, Campbell) All rivers have huge returns because they DO know what they are doing...At least they are doing something right! ......Ortho

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ortho,

But THE question is still on the table: Why is there not a C&R reg for these summer trout? You know they are steelhead. I know they are steelhead. But 99.9% of the general angling population is going to see that regulation, believe there is a kill fishery for trout in the Vedder (because there is), and go out "trout" fishing for pan-sized steelhead smolts.

Clearly, something does not add up here.

I too believe the hatcheries do a great job (I volunteer at one!) I have also seen that hatcheries - the front line workers - often know more about a particular system than the fisheries guys. I have seen many examples of fisheries mis-management where they have simply not listened to the people who really know what is going on.

I say either fix the reg or expect that those fish are going to get bonked by ignorant, unsuspecting, but equally blameless anglers. Forget about "politely" educating people. If you want the fish protected (and don't get me wrong - I am all for protecting them) change the regs.

Dinsdale

G

·
0 Posts
Ok, this is starting to get reely confusing. Is there not an introduced open retention Rainbow trout fishery in the Vedder.

Mike <"))))))><

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
i agree with you Dinsdale

the regs should be changed to at least make it a BAIT BAN for the month of JULY in the chilli/vedder i mean then you wouldnt catch these little smolts unless you foul one

i fish for the springs with a #4 steelhead barbless hook and i have NEVER ONCE hooked a smolt except for the one time i hooked one in the side in the canal

i DO NOT fish with roe when they are in the river because they love the bait i try to wait till the later half of the month to fly fish for reds because yes those little buggers will chase that fly, I have watched them do it

and to Mike yes there is a retention of HATCHERY trout in the chilli/vedder which would be the smolts we are talking about

things need to be reviewed i think especially after seeing the steelhead returns become less each year. the first year i went steelhead fishing was about 5yrs ago and i saw fish coming in ALL THE TIME no i go days even weeks without seeing someone hook one, which is very sad as they are a very prized and prestigious fish however last year did seem like a very good year for steel, so .... "what do i know, right"

to anyone that targets the smolts BE GENTLE if you arent going to take them home and eat them they are not a very strong fish this young and you will see lots laying dead on the bottom of the river in the next few weeks

thanks

HOOK

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
C&R

"Caught/released" means all were carefully caught and released. And I couldn't help but notice an obvious red slash coloration just below the outer gill plates. I've stared many a minute at Hatcheries display tanks to see various sized Steelhead Smolts. The fish I gently brought to shallow water and unhooked were for the trout bum fly fisherman only...
Great following thread of conversation!

·
Registered
224 Posts
2Metric,

Upon re-reading your post, you made no mention of HATCHERY "trout" (possibly steelhead smolts). You now suggest that they were cutties. They could be resident. They could have come up from the Fraser or even dropped down from the lake. I know of a number of lower mainland streams that hold cutts all summer long.
Sounds like they may not all be smolts and fisheries may actually know what they are doing, after all.

Dinsdale

1 - 17 of 17 Posts