BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I headed out for first light this morning. Started down by Keith Wilson. I don't know the river very well, if at all, so my day was pretty experimental. The water was high and fast, in comparison to the one other time I headed out a couple years ago. I had my pin, so it was hard to get my presentation to the section of the run I wanted, there were a few other guys around. I walked around the dykes a little bit looking for other holes, but all seemed to be occupied at this point. Was the same situation at the end of Peach Road. I saw a couple fish taken at both places, not a whole lot of action overall though.

To try to avoid the crowd I saw at Peach Road I headed up river around 10AM. I ended up at Allison Pools to see a couple other anglers float fishing. One guy seemed to have quite a bit of success, but couldn't land anything. The only thing he landed was a very small jack spring, which was snagged. Every other fish he hooked either broke off or dragged him way down river, which led me to believe that most of them were probably snagged, since he was the only one hooking into anything out of me, another guy, and his buddy. I saw him setting the hook a lot as well. The fish were definitely in there though; saw them rolling and jumping, but no hook-ups to me.

I was using a few of Bent Rods jigs, some black wool (to see if I could match my fellow anglers "success"), and some blades, to no success. It was a decent day out though, beautiful weather.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You could always pick up a Vedder map from Freds, sells them for $1 I think. It gives your a rough idea of the named "spots", no cross streets or anything but its not a bad thing to have. Have you used any roe this season? jacks and ho's can be real roe pigs
I'm still learning the vedder myself, done lots of walking up and down some mid to lower sections since I first fished it back in january of last year. Each time out I feel a little more knowledgeable. I hate the crowds as well so I sacrifice the so called "hot spots" for peace and quiet with a hike off the beaten path/

·
Registered
470 Posts
I was out today too.

I hit the new gravel pit across from Peach road at about 7am with my fly rod. I worked the pool and a few nearby spots for a couple of hours with various flies, but no takers. I was the only fly guy and had the slack water to myself.

Saw quite a few springs rising and a few bursts of coho. Not many fish tKen that I saw.

I grabbed brunch around 10 and returned to the same bank with my baitcaster and some roe. Found a seam and cast for a while. Connected with one spring that tossed the hook, then tied into a beast. Took me half a click or more down river, but I brought him to shore. 27lb spring.

Quit around 3:30. Not a frantic pace, but I've had worse days on the Vedder.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You could always pick up a Vedder map from Freds, sells them for $1 I think. It gives your a rough idea of the named "spots", no cross streets or anything but its not a bad thing to have. Have you used any roe this season? jacks and ho's can be real roe pigs
I'm still learning the vedder myself, done lots of walking up and down some mid to lower sections since I first fished it back in january of last year. Each time out I feel a little more knowledgeable. I hate the crowds as well so I sacrifice the so called "hot spots" for peace and quiet with a hike off the beaten path/
This was my first time out this season to the Vedder. I don't head out there often, I live in Pitt Meadows so it's a bit of a trip to make. No roe this time, didn't have time to pick any up. Maybe next time, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts