BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been watching this forum for the last couple weeks to see what was happening on the Vedder, and there hasn't been much on here, so -- with nobody sayin nothin..... I decided to just drive out there this morning and check it out. (Monday, August 9th).

I figured since it was the opening for the sockeye on the Fraser today, I'd be pretty much left to my own river strips this morning. I wasn't mistaken. There was nobody out there.

I was pretty optimistic; the river'd come up a little bit since the weekend's rains, and yet it wasn't too coloured up. I walked down to my Top Secret hole a few Kms west of Tamahi with a jacket full of roe, yarn, spinners, Gulp™ roe globs, hooks, 6, 10 and 14 lb leader.... (hey, you never know...)

I left the jeep parked up on the forest service road, and started hikin on down the trail to the river.
Once I came up on the fresh bear scat, I started singing badly and loudly, but I was still pretty optimistic about the salmon situation.

So I get to my top secret spot, slap on a pretty good glob of roe, and start what's obviously going to be an amazing day of salmon action. The water's perfect, there's nobody here, and in the first 15 minutes I see 3 osprey, 4 bald eagles, and two little guys I can only assume were falcons of some sort.
First cast, bated breath....

...Fast forward 6 hours.

It's 11:00 am now, I've fished the tailout, I've fished the whitewater header, I've fished the far side, the close side, the deep side, I've fished short float, long float... Hell, for a while there I fished NO float. I've fished spoon, roe, yarn, gulp™ roe globs, spin'n'glows and gooeybobs. My 11:30, there's some sort of muscle I didn't know about in my back that's trying to pull my right ear down to my left buttock, and I'm out of coffee.
I collapse my rod and stumble back up through the bear scat to my jeep, singing badly.
I get in, recline the seat, and I nap.

The rain on the hard top wakes me up 45 minutes later.
I head back down with renewed optimism. "The RAIN will make the change!"

Short, long, deep, wide, bottom, tailout, riffle.... I hit it all.

At one point, I hear a crunching of gravel behind me. Thinking it's another fisherman, I turn around... It's a young buck deer. A 3 pointer, still velvet, and he's paying me no mind. He walks right past me to the river and takes a couple drinks.
"Hey, I'm tryin to fish here" I say to him.
He looks over at me for a second and then just starts licking his back. I'm inconsequential.

Once he gets far enough away from me, I cast a few more shorties. (The trout are well fed today off my roe, the tip of my rod is vibrato with them stripping my bait.)
I'm pretty much soaked now, it's now 3:30 and it's been raining since around noon. I sit down on a rock for a bit, light a smoke and watch the water.
Down by the tail out, I see a monster rise. Slow and bored, a big blood red back breaks the surface and slides back down. It's the only proof I've seen today that there's salmon in there.
(I don't know what he was, but wouldn't want him anyways.)

I fished it till I was out of bait,
And that was that.

Reactions: sage2106lb

·
Registered
507 Posts
Great story scoobydope,the thing with the deer has happened to me before in steehead season,i love your optimism keep it up they will come I'm sure

·
Registered
470 Posts
You understand what fishing is all about when you enjoy days like that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great story scooby. Like I have always said to my non fishing friends, fishing is about being outside in nature and taking it all in. If you catch a fish, it's a bonus.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Much better than a good day at the office. :)

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Now that is a great tale. Well written, and enjoyable to read. Best one I've heard in a long time!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Great read. Sounds like more a steelhead type day! Oh well as was said earlier better than working.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Great read, thanks.

:cheers: sage

·
Registered
745 Posts
Nicely written!! The type of report I enjoy reading while sitting in my office..... felt like I was there with you!

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
THAT is a classic fishing story right there!! Well written and thoroughly enjoyable. I especially like the "unknown muscle" portion...that's some funny stuff. Well done Scooby!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Nice read, well done. Big blood red back..........that would be a red spring. They colour up really fast and I'll usually target them in the lower river mid July. It is not a very big run of fish and they usually blast through pretty quick. They pull hard ( i think they out do the vedder steelies ) and are great table fair when bright or even "slightly" coloured. I only went out once this year, mid July and hooked 2 but lost them both.

Here is one from mid July last year starting to colour up, caught well below the crossing

·
Registered
875 Posts
Got 4 the other day...
Most were coloured, may post a few pics later.
Kept one doe that was in about the same shape as the fish shown above.
They colour up really fast so you kind of need to make a judgement call on how firm the back is.

·
Registered
93 Posts
E.D. your still catchin reds out on the vedder?
i wasnt sure if there were still any kicking around.
good to hear someone's gettin em.. i havent even seen a wiff of a salmon in the vedder so far.

·
Registered
875 Posts
E.D. your still catchin reds out on the vedder?
i wasnt sure if there were still any kicking around.
good to hear someone's gettin em.. i havent even seen a wiff of a salmon in the vedder so far.
Yea, like I said though they are all coloured up for the most part.
I have gotten 7 in 3 trips, just gotta know where to go.

The other thing I have noticed is time of day is key, the fish seem to turn on and off in certain runs at certain times. I have noticed this over the last 4 years. Buddy wanted to leave after about 2 hrs of little (2 hits) action and no fish rolling. I said a little longer and 20 mins later the action was non-stop for about an hour and a half and fish were rolling all over the place.

·
Registered
93 Posts
ya im usually at the river from say.. 3pm til dusk.. and havent even seen anything move. just been on the middle and lower river.
i havent made it up river so far.. perhaps they're just cruisin on up without makin any pit stops?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Great read. I love spending time on the flow, fish is bonus.
I'm cursed for fishing too but I still go out whenever I can.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Best story, I have seen in a long time and we have all been there at some point. Great read and will show lots of my friends this who complain, its about the time we get to spend fishing doing the thing we love. Sometimes it is not about the reward of a fish, just the reward for being there fishing!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts