BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with the veder river river frenzy , I havent heard any news on the vedder river , my personal favorite for drift fishing . any white springs pushing through yet ?? coho , chum , ???havent been able to make it out due to hectik schedule at work and kids , any feed back would be much apreciated:thumbup::peace:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was out yesterday at Lickamn and downstream from there and its very low and was very clear. It rained good though after that so not sure of the conditions now. If they are in there I would guess they are in the upper sections or towards the mouth more.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was there the other day and was looking off the keith wilson bridge and i seen numersous jack springs/sockeye and the odd bigger spring moving through the system. Went out last night near the upper end and managed to hook into a nice spring that i lost after a few minutes. Right as it was getting dark i did see 1 coho go shooting by in the shallows.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was out yesterday, fished at Vedder Crossing. Just a few small trout hit my fly. River needs some rain big time.

·
Registered
507 Posts
fished the lower yesterday,the river is DEAD low needs rain badly,its super clear,the odd fish is trickling through,no luck for me,a few 12 inchers that are more than willing to take anything i put on my leader,and awsome day out with almost no one around.Hopfully it rains and brings the river up or the "PROS"(with 10 foot leaders)will have an easy job when the fish start running.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I was out today (Tuesday, Sept 7th) up around Tamahi. No salmon. The river is LOW LOW LOW and crystal clear still. Like they all said, it really needs some rain.
That being said, I did catch a big wild trout of some sort, and all I can say is: "What the Hell was THAT?":

I'd given up on the roe, and was float fishing with a spoon -- trying the tailout at the end of a deep pool. There's a little bump, and then suddenly the float disappears underwater. I pull back quick, set the hook, and it's ON!
I was SURE it was a Coho or Jack Spring, cuz it sure as hell wasn't one of those annoying little hatchery rainbows. This thing had Game!

I let it play out a bit, running deep and pulling wide, I let it head on over to the far side of the river before tiring it out and pulling it back closer to shore to see what it was, all excited like... And when it finally gets close enough to see..... I couldn't identify it. Never seen anything like it on the Vedder.

Are there Brown trout in there? Maybe Brook trout?
This thing was about 14 - 18 inches in length, probably 3" - 4" thick, and just a beauty. I'm guessing 3 or 4 lbs.
It's back wasn't exactly spotted, it was more like a little spotted wormy-like pattern on top of a dark background. Really distinct.
It had more of a trout-like shortened head with a wide mouth, big eyes. (and no, it wasn't a squawfish, this was definitely a trout of some sort).
Unfortunately, (for me, not the trout) it was sporting the well defined adipose fin, so I had to let it go. Also unfortunate, my camera was up in the Jeep. I'd like to know what else is in that river, cuz in 15 years, this is the first time I hooked into something like this.

Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

·
Registered
114 Posts
after a bit of googling, I think it may have been a Dolly Varden. Do they get that big on the Vedder?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
ya dolly or bull. i cant imagine anything 14 inches long being 3-4 pounds though. especially when dollies tend to be quite snake like in body shape.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
ya dolly or bull. i cant imagine anything 14 inches long being 3-4 pounds though. especially when dollies tend to be quite snake like in body shape.
Even at 18" it would max out around a pound and a half.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
ok, obviously my fishing eyes were looking at that beauty, and I never took her out of the water. So, ok, maybe 2-3 lbs.
So, Dolly?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Probably a dolly. Those things can be ferocious when it comes to eating. I gave up fishing roe for salmon on the lower Skeena because the dollies would find it withing minutes.

There are some decent sized cutthroats in there too from what I've heard.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It soounds like an eastern brook trout rather than a dolly/bull torut. This is if there were ere the "worm tracks" were on its back,or dorsal fin, orand/or tail, oherwise these fish have a close resemlence.

·
Registered
901 Posts
those numerous fish that everyone is seeing under the bridge calling them jacks or sockeye are actually a school of suckers.....

·
Registered
251 Posts
Good size thunderstorm right now with lots of rain falling. Looks like it's heading up the 'wack river valley. I live close to Vedder Crossing so I know it's raining near the river.

·
Registered
901 Posts
i was refering to the post about the bigger springs under kw after which he said he could see numerous smaller fish that he thought were sockeye. THOSE fish are suckers...guys have been calling them coho, springs and sockeye for 3 weeks as they look off of it. Are you sure you had a fish on aaron? i bet it was a log

·
Registered
335 Posts
i was refering to the post about the bigger springs under kw after which he said he could see numerous smaller fish that he thought were sockeye. THOSE fish are suckers...guys have been calling them coho, springs and sockeye for 3 weeks as they look off of it. Are you sure you had a fish on aaron? i bet it was a log
haha, coulda been, its is kinda snaggy in there....had to switch to a 3 oz betty to get a decent bounce

·
Registered
901 Posts
ya i know what you mean those fraser anglers fishing there are so good i just had to try it, i use a 4 though

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.