BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
787 Posts
The Red Springs are in there right now, i got 2 so far, there throuought the entire system, Procured Red Roe or natural cured roe, prawns work as well.

There is also Sockeye in there right now as well, if you do hook one, play it fast and release it in the water.

Goodluck out there

:peace:

· Registered
787 Posts
I use the prawn rings the frozen ones in your local grocery store. I rig mine with a bait loop, I put the tail in the bait loop and run the hook though the bottom of the prawn (In the meat)

Here is how I rig mine, this is on a #1 Gammy Hook , Stays on a long time, never had any problems setting it up like this. Im sure there is other ways this is just one of them.

I use natural ones straight off the prawn ring, and i cure some up in pink/red as well, Sometimes i add some sand shrimp scent to them

· Registered
273 Posts
FishFreak said:
I use the prawn rings the frozen ones in your local grocery store. I rig mine with a bait loop, I put the tail in the bait loop and run the hook though the bottom of the prawn (In the meat)

Here is how I rig mine, this is on a #1 Gammy Hook , Stays on a long time, never had any problems setting it up like this. Im sure there is other ways this is just one of them.

I use natural ones straight off the prawn ring, and i cure some up in pink/red as well, Sometimes i add some sand shrimp scent to them

YUM YUM.it looks really good,well see you guys tomorrow at the flow.Tight line :beerchug:

· Registered
787 Posts
they vary, Vedder Red springs from 5 to 25 pounds, but the average is around 10-15 pounds, its kind of hard to say. its just a ball park figure, i have seen some years where there has been some large red springs, i helped land a red spring for leaping tyee a few year ago that had to be close to 30 plus. Pounds. and some years there has been smaller ones. I have also been told my numerous people that the smaller springs come in first then the larger ones come in later. Im not sure about it though.

In the Fall we get the White Springs and there Huge !!! seen them up to 50 pounds

Here is a Red Spring I got ''LAST YEAR'' in 2nd week of August thats about the average size for them, with some biigger ones and some smaller ones

There is some small ones like this one from "LAST YEAR"

· Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey FF,

Nice pics , thanks

I was also wondering if they are good eating or are they a little beaten up.

I usually go up to Bamfield to catch my springs but looks like this might be a tough year so I was thinking to hit your back yard (vedder) and catch a few, esp if I can can and smoke some.

What do you think ? :wallbash:

Tks
Cape R

· Registered
787 Posts
Hard to compare a vedder red spring, and a ocean caught red spring, as there allot nicer looking in the ocean, but there is some that are pretty clean looking in the vedder as well, there good eating and smoked, there a bit weird, when you bonk and bleed them out they change colours on you !!! when you hook one and get it in you will have a good idea if your gonna keep it or not

· Registered
417 Posts
FishFreak said:

Thanks FishFreak. Very usefull info :beerchug:

· Registered
787 Posts
nayhkilas said:
FishFreak said:

Thanks FishFreak. Very usefull info :beerchug:
No problem, Hope it works out for you !!!!

Goodluck out there !!!

:peace:

· Registered
1,199 Posts
Fishfreak - you dont seem to have trouble loosing your prawn when casting it out? Im going to try that - thanks for sharing that! I guess i could always add a little bit of spider thread to help hold it on if I had trouble loosing it when casting?

· Registered
787 Posts
fishnfvr said:
Fishfreak - you dont seem to have trouble loosing your prawn when casting it out? Im going to try that - thanks for sharing that! I guess i could always add a little bit of spider thread to help hold it on if I had trouble loosing it when casting?
Nope, I dont have any problems with it falling off, just make sure its snug in the bait loop

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.