BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm heading up to hunt some steelies again this week, kinda a revisit to the "my four day trip" post a while back, then my uncle ended up being skunked for his two days of the trip, he has never caught a steelie, so we're going to give it another shot and fish all day wed and thurs....weather is forcasted as "far worse than crap", (my words :roll: ), but I am confident that I can get him into a fish....It'll be really great to get out on the flow, oh what relief!!!!!, regardless of the conditions....I've had a week that has been "far worse than crap", (my words... :lol: ), so the escape is much needed....hopefully I'll get revenge on that 18+ steelie Hook tangled with at the fish out.....I'll get im fer ya, buddy!!!
I can't swim anyway....
Let ya all know how it goes when I return,
Rib :wink:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Ribwart i will brave it out ther on Thurs
hope to see you out there
I want to try out my new fly reel but the weather might make me chuck gear

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds great Britguy, how will I recognize you??? I'll look pretty damn close to the way I do in my avatar, except with my hood up, probably, if the weather is the way it's supposed to be...and I'll seem bigger somehow :lol: :lol: :lol: It'll be great to get out there regardless.....hopefully we'll see you at some point! :)
rib

·
Registered
224 Posts
Unofficial Fish-Out

Hey Boys,

I'm planning on kicking the Vedder's butt on Thursday as well. I may even camp out to fish friday morning. I tend to move around quite a bit, depending on water conditions and pressure. I will be easy to spot - I'll be the guy with the rod bent over!LOL. Actually, it will be easier to spot my Silex and ski-pole wading staff.

Dinsdale

·
Registered
901 Posts
Ribwart
I will be chucking feathers as i got some backing line on my new reel
I will have on a green pfd vest with decal
Green neoprine waders
and a white brimmed hat with decal

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wed - thurs on da flow...

Well, what can I say? Once again another venture out on the river has ended, and despite the pain my body is feeling after two straight days of steelheading, I am almost sad to be home....
I'll get straight to it....
Fishing overall was really tough!!! There didn't seem to be as many fish as my last few trips, and I only saw two fish hooked while out there...besides ours :D . Water conditions were gin clear, it was by far the lowest I have ever seen the river while steelheading... The rain held off all of wed, as we left van, it was pouring, but out on the river it was just slightly overcast, no wind....we fished hard from about 1130 in the morning till dark. Started mid river at a pool that has been really good to me lately, and saw two wild fish landed and carefully released. Got nothing there and left within 2 hrs to try downriver....We drove down to lickman, and met up with abbyfireguy and bought a reel from him, and it was good to meet him, Thanks abfg, much appreciate the delivery! My uncle, (2nd time steelheading ever), and I walked right past the gong show down there near lickman and fished all the pools down about 2 kms below there and touched nothing!!!! I haven't really been that fortunate fishing steelies down there anyway, and the only thing of note was my uncle taking a dunk in the river trying to follow me across!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I told him it was his "christening", and that once you've fallen in the next step in a steelheaders life that is sure to come is a nice chrome steelie!!!! We laughed it up at that, but little did we know.....
Anyway, we stayed in a hotel overnight had drinks at the pub and then decided to hit the river real early in the morning and this is how thursday went....
Thursday was brutal!!!!! We were out there while the moon was still out and it was pitch black....and there was a guy there waiting already!!!! So we fished the same mid river pool for about 3 hrs, and nobody got a thing all morning....at this point I was getting really discouraged, I was sure that that pool would be holding multiple fish, and not even a whiff, for anyone!~!!!!and there were some good fishermen in there.....Well, we decided to get some line on my uncles new baitcaster, as it would only be fitting that he at least try it out while we're there even if we aren't getting anything, right???
Talked to bergler in fred's, (he said I had missed you by a couple hours there britguy), and told him how discouraged I was and he mentioned the next logical choice must be the upper river, and gave me some optimism (thx b) and we proceeded to the upper river which I know well. We drove up to a pool that I'm fond of and sure enough there was a car there, but we thought hell, one car is far better than three, and so decided to hike it in anyway....when we got there three guys and a young child were setting up, but hadn't really fished the pool yet, so uncle and I set in....
Like I said, I was really not very optimistic, but I plugged away at it and really worked a slot hard when, WHAM!!! Fish On!
Nice bright wild doe, about 9-10 lbs slams my hook and the fight is on!!!! It put up a really good fight, multiple acrobatics and runs...untill she turned on her side and I passed the rod and camera to my uncle for a quick pic....cradled her in the water for a bit and she swam away strong as ever to carry on the tradition.....
Now, I mentioned I was discouraged? Well, my uncle hit the pool with renewed vigour after having seen my fight with this fine fish, and you could tell he was in for the whole day!!! :D
We fished that pool somemore, and then hopscotched down from pool to pool in the car untill it seemed we would get no more today, and then it started to rain hard!!!! I thought oh boy this is it, I'm done....
Then I thought of one more pool, that might be worth a quick pass, so we headed down to the rivers edge for one last stand, again :?
I fished some nice water in this pool and was working a short stretch of water when all of a sudden this beauty chromer comes leaping straight out of the water right in front of me!!!!Scared the $$%#^%$ out of me! So I look up and yell at my uncle that there's a fish right in here, and who would've thought, it was on the other end of his line!!!!! I couldn't believe it! :D It's so awesome to see someone get their first ever steelie, and even more remarkable when it's only their second time out there, on a new rod, with a new reel and nothing but hope! It's a very rewarding thing to witness, I must say....
Anyway, he brought this fish to shore after a very spirited battled and it was a bright 9 lb wild doe, I tailed it, and removed the hook and made ready to have him release his first ever steelhead....but as he's trying to tail it, she gave a mighty tail shake and gone!!!!! So no pic, sorry guys....I do have a pic of mine though....here's some eye candy for anybody wishing they were there....

All in all, a great trip, and another newbie hooked on steelheading!!!! I couldn't have planned it better.... :D :D :D

·
Registered
283 Posts
Great job & nice lookin fish, god i cant wait to hook that first steel i'll prob S%*T My Pants, from the stories i hear on here it must be some kind of rush..
Keep er up rib

·
Registered
274 Posts
Nice picture,saw you help your uncle landed his steelie,he was so happy,i was just wondering how come you didnt pull your camera out to take a picture for your uncle,i was fishing right across from you guys with my partner

·
Registered
224 Posts
Good to hear you were into some fish, RW. I was skunked. Lots of guys. Didn't see a fish hooked. Fished upper, middle, and lower river. I thought the rain might have brought the river up a bit, but it was beyond LOW. I even waded across the tail-out at Fort Apache! I'll be waiting for rain before I go back. (Just about time for the Squamish, too.)

Dinsdale

·
Registered
901 Posts
Sorry i missed you guys Ribwart
I had an interesting day hit the lower river first and after about four casts with the new fly reel(Dragonfly Kamloops M C 7\8wt)
tug tug rod raise and fish on
a couple of headshakes and gone :cry:

then a few more casts and my reel came away from its mounting :shock:

So i am left with rod in one hand and reel in the other with line out :oops:

So wound in the line with reel in my hand and headed off to Freds

There i met Bergler and he fixed the problem for me(thanks)
Then he pointed out a few flies for me and gave me a few tips
i hit the lower river again but nothing for me

met two guys down river at a nice run and one had a nice 11#hatch in the bag then just as i was walking away the other guy said fish on
Another nice crome hatch
And that was the end of there day 8)
River is the lowest i have seen it
not to many guys out on the lower river today
But a great day to be out

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
leaping tyee said:
Nice picture,saw you help your uncle landed his steelie,he was so happy,i was just wondering how come you didnt pull your camera out to take a picture for your uncle,i was fishing right across from you guys with my partner
Oh yeah, that was you that yelled "nice fish" and then held up your arms to indicate it looked pretty big? Well, I handed him the fish keeping it in the water, but he has never even held one before, he had no gloves, and while he was holding it in the water and I went to get my camera out of my vest....the fish gave a good shake and he couldn't hold on to it....but I don't think he was too dissappointed about the pic, he was on top of the world, you'd think he had just won the cup or something.... :lol: I was really amazed he landed that baby in there, that's a tough spot for a first timer to land one....He got it on a big gaudy, purple and red Jig, would you believe it???, another minute fighting that one and the hook would've failed.....it was already bent out somewhat when I removed it!!!!!

dinsdale piranha said:
Good to hear you were into some fish, RW. I was skunked. Lots of guys. Didn't see a fish hooked. Fished upper, middle, and lower river. I thought the rain might have brought the river up a bit, but it was beyond LOW. I even waded across the tail-out at Fort Apache! I'll be waiting for rain before I go back. (Just about time for the Squamish, too.)

Dinsdale
Heh Dinsdale, I think I have a nice pic of you fishing just below fort apache....I was fishing right across from you at one point....under the trees? I'm pretty sure this must be you, it's not often you see someone cross that tailout....

Britguy, great to hear you had one on.....I've never even tried to catch a steelie on the fly yet....but one of these days, I think I'll check out some spey gear......glad you were able to fix that problem too....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts