BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just wondering where a good spot would be to catch some decent sized Bow's on the Vedder?? I have taken the 3.5yr boy out a couple times with just a couple hook ups of about 8" or so. I would like him to hook something a little bigger. Any good spots you guys can recommend for a new young fisher?? Also what will be running up the Vedder next. THis month seems to be a little slow? Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
695 Posts
i took my kids to the train bridge area and i had them set up on their spin casting with a tiny float and a couple of large shot and they did fairly well :thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are a number of good spots for this fishery: The pool at Osbourne road is good for kids, it is flat and sandy, so they can alternate between fishing and playing. A short walk upstream of the train bridge on the Yarrow side is good, but some areas have steep banks. Downstream of the rail bridge on both the Sardis and Yarrow side have good spots. Walk the path and you will see the trails to the spots through the bushes.

If you need more details, pm me.

·
Registered
517 Posts
gtxr said:
Thanks Guys. I just live down the rd from Peach rd. I guess I just need to do some exploring with the boy and the bikes/walking. Thanks for the help though!!! :beerchug:
gtxr, I do not know where the big trouts are, but what I know is that if you put a colorado spinner to your line they will kill each other to chase it. and this was the case any where I have been on the vedder.

Giuseppe

·
Registered
875 Posts
Lol if you are out to only target trout then shrimp, grasshoppers and worms are the major baits that will catch you tons of fish :thumbup: I do however discourage this, especially if you dont plan on keeping the fish as the tend to take these baits quite deeply :'( :wallbash: Best way to do it is fly fishing as they will normally do a quick splash at it long enough to set the hook but wont get hooked any deeper than the nose. Bigger fish almost never hit the fly on top of the water, they seem to like hitting things that are a foot or more below the surface, but I did have a few come right up to the top for bigger flies. Try finding a backwash that has some sort of riffle in it or fish the edge of the backwash and you should get into some trout.

Have fun :cheers:
Dan

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was wondering about this as well, as my 8 yr old son loves fishing and want to bring him to the Vedder for fishing and target trout. Mind you, fly fishing would be difficult for him, so should I set him to float fish.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Every Day said:
Lol if you are out to only target trout then shrimp, grasshoppers and worms are the major baits that will catch you tons of fish :thumbup:
that's what i set the kids up with and man did the trout ever go for it :cheers:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey looks like there is alot of area down buy the Train bridge and that Area. Lived here for years but for some reason never went down there. Wasnt thinking fish I guess :happy:. Anyone had any luck down there with The larger Trout?? Im talking anything that would be over 8". Not that I would keep them, but a small fight would be good for the Boy. I will check it out this weekend. Hopefully not to busy in the morning?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was out at the train bridge today, first cast i cought a little 9". I started at 11am and ended at 1ish with about 10 fish under my belt (none worthy of keeping though 5"-11"). Still nice to get out and feel a little nibble on the rod. I was using worms and split peas (bring a long set of pliers cuz they take it deep). Great for the kids to learn with

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep sounds like a good time. I plan on using the new fly rod and see if i can get back into casting etc. I think Ill set up a spinner set up with a float then for the Boy. They wont swallow it as far and less damage that way. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You guys could also try putting a fly on the end of your gear setup, they work just as well as bait, and is less messy - plus, fewer fish will take it deep...

Try some stonefly nymphs like these:

Or regular style nymphs like hare's ear:

Or a copper John:

Pretty much any nymph in a size 12 will work.

For the time of year, this is a good alterative for kids to get outside, and actually catch fish - I've heard a few great stories this summer so far, of kids catching their first fish... To them, even if it's 5 inches, it makes no difference... Every fish is exciting to a 5 year old... Even a pike minnow or bullhead.

This is a good way to get kids into flyfishing - start with the nymphs, then graduate to the dry fly - you'll have them hooked for life :)

For dry flies, just throw on an Adams, and you're set:

I forgot to add, stick to the water around peach, lickman road, or train bridge as this is where the majority of the residualized hatchery steelhead smolts hang out. Leave upriver reaches alone, and you should minimize your encounters with wild resident rainbows and juvenille steelhead.

Cheers,
Nicole

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nicole,

Some nice looking flies. Plan on taking the boy next Saturday to the Vedder for some fishing.

Will take up your suggestion on putting some flies onto his gear. Now all I need is to purchase some of those flies.

Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
151 Posts
This is meant for subsurface flies, yes...

Just use a split shot or small weight, the float, and the fly - you're all set.

A very simple setup - the technique if used on the flyrod is called nymphing...

Cheers,
Nicole

·
Registered
695 Posts
Nicole said:
You guys could also try putting a fly on the end of your gear setup, they work just as well as bait, and is less messy - plus, fewer fish will take it deep...

Try some stonefly nymphs like these:

Or regular style nymphs like hare's ear:

Or a copper John:

Pretty much any nymph in a size 12 will work.

For the time of year, this is a good alterative for kids to get outside, and actually catch fish - I've heard a few great stories this summer so far, of kids catching their first fish... To them, even if it's 5 inches, it makes no difference... Every fish is exciting to a 5 year old... Even a pike minnow or bullhead.

This is a good way to get kids into flyfishing - start with the nymphs, then graduate to the dry fly - you'll have them hooked for life :)

For dry flies, just throw on an Adams, and you're set:

I forgot to add, stick to the water around peach, lickman road, or train bridge as this is where the majority of the residualized hatchery steelhead smolts hang out. Leave upriver reaches alone, and you should minimize your encounters with wild resident rainbows and juvenille steelhead.

Cheers,
Nicole
those are some nice flys Nicole :thumbup: i was doning that up in the mamquam last year and did very well but i never even thought of that gonna have to try this thanks Nicole

scruffy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.