BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the vedder behind the old prison camp on sunday, and in 3 hours about 15 springs jumped right in front of me. I was shocked at first, but then figured out, that they were jumping while I was casting. It looked like they were jumping for my wool before it hit the water. Anyway after I while I tried using a spinner, which attracted little trout, but no springs. I was using red wool. Does anyone have any other ideas on what to use to catch the springs?, Wool, Spinners, Roe. Do colorado blades or spoons really work?

·
Registered
789 Posts
silver coloardos will work but not all the time, Roe mostly will get your large and jack springs... as for wool try cutting it in a small egg shape try adding seom scent to it, like shrimp or herring scent i know of a couple peopel that do this and it works

·
Registered
901 Posts
w-thorp90
Take some salmon pink wool and pale pink\white wool
cut the salmon wool into two peices and make a sandwich with salmon pink then pale pink\white then the salmon pink (you can change the colors up depending on species, water conditions and light)
put this in you bait loop
hold your hook between your finger and thumb and lift up the wool
grasp a small bit of it with the thumb and finger still holding the hook
then trim with sharp (must be sharp) scissors arround your thumb and finger as close as you can (dont cut your finger) :happy:
when you let go you should have a small ball of wool resembling an egg
if it is too big grip it again and trim smaller untill it is the size of a single egg
drift fish it in a natural way (no line drag) short float fashion :thumbup:
and good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks alot, I'll try those when I go next, I didn't realise that wool was so importand to put on precise amounts, I usually just put enough to cover my hook. Maybe thats why it only worked occationally last year for coho and pinks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If i target springs i generally use blue and green wool either alone or in combination. When i target coho i generally use a peach wool with a single Jensen egg knowing that it will also attract springs (and chum).

·
Registered
695 Posts
i would say roe is your best bet for them springs I've had decent success with the blades under a float but nothing like the roe :thumbup: it's been a while since i've used wool but when i did i'd always use a couple of colors and cut it down to thumb nail size and it was fun to say the least.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bubble gum pink wool landed me a 15 lb spring today. First one of this year. I tried many colors (except for pink) for over an hour until one guy had a spring on first cast across river from me with pink wool. I had the first spring in 10 min. with switch to pink, lost it, but redeemed myself within another 10 minutes. Total length of wool was less than 1 inch.

·
Registered
57 Posts
There are many many wool color combos to try,and many single colors,some of the more popular ones i have seen and used on the vedder,shrimp pink,cerise,and white.Peach,deep dark red and roe orange.Cerise,baby pink
and charteuse,just take a 11/2 inch piece and pull it apart into two or three pieces,mix and match and put into the back of your egg loop,and trim into a egg shape and as mentioned in other replies squirt your wool with one of the many scents available.

·
Registered
417 Posts
how big/small your roe presentation should look like? If wool should be a single egg presentation, what about roe? I've see different sizes there ... Small, just couple of few eggs together and huge thrown into the river under float. What works best and in what water conditions for roe? Thx.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
I have been using small chunks of roe all the way up to golf ball sized peices. i just use which ever peice i grab, big or small it hasnt mattered. even caught one on a peice of dangly skein with no eggs in it anymore LOL I have gotten 4 on wool as well dark red with a touch of little pink. make it so that when it hangs the red surrounds the pink, other way around and it doesnt seem to work as well :-\ good luck out there

·
Registered
789 Posts
I usually pack my vest with a Dry Cure Roe and a wet Cure patuzke nector Roe with Herring scent, lots of spinners brass,silver,50/50 then a variety of prawns usually the shrimp rings and a few large tiger prawns (when there on sale) I dye them with red food colouring then add sand shrimp scent to them then stick them in a hard plastic container with course (Pickling Salt) I dont use wool to much anymore but have good sucess with roe and prawns

·
Registered
26 Posts
FishFreak, how do you secure the shrimp onto the hook? Do you still use pencil lead with float or no pencil lead because the shrimp is heavy enough on it's own? Do you store treated shrimp in fridge or freezer and take out the night before?

Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.