BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
I hit it Tuesday late morning during the wet, heavy snow...turned into rain by mid afternoon, by evening, the lower end was pretty clouded up. I fished several circuits through the upper mid river, and then a few more above the slides at Allison. Didn't find any fish. Just a matter of time before I get my first vedder fish of the season. Going to put some more time in the next 2 weeks...

I hear the river has cleared up some since my last visit...

Any reports from other sections of the river...?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I fished the Cheddar yesterday with no success other than not being at work. The upper was really clear, mid not so and the campground same as mid. Water was a little high but very fishable. It was also very quite for river traffic. Tight lines

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I heard, second hand, of a guy who went out two days in a row and nailed three on each day! Froim a reliable source. That get the steelie blood pumpin. Things are starting to look up out there!

Hotrod

·
Registered
419 Posts
I got till after New Years starting tomorrow. I will pound it hard every day. :beerchug:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
you guys need to get more time off, I've hooked 4 fish in 8 trips to 4 differant systems so far this season and not once have I been to the Veddar and I have been off since last Friday and don't go back till Jan 07/08 :thumbup: you got to love banked time off

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Bill it looks the same over here on the rock right now, a lot of fish around. 3 systems, 3 fish, 3 days. can remember not gettin the hand shake till feb, not too long ago. Hopin on a new year full steel, startin out right :thumbup:

Normally spend a lot of time through jan playing with the summies, havent hooked one yet :cheers:

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
how is it not "true" steelheading Birdman?? most of the best ways/places to fish for steel is by drifting the river. Think of how many great steelhead systems are best drifted :thumbup:

·
Banned
279 Posts
I know but its with a guide who fishes every day. Steelheading is all in the pursuit not someone else telling you where to cast. I'm doing a guided day coming up soon but I'm not adding anything hooked to my years totals but it sure will be fun!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Well Birdman I have to say I agree with you to degree :confused:
I agree that a guided trip where the guide does drift the river and the gear is in holders and the gear is drifted in the water, while it is technicaly steelhead fishing. Now if you find a guide that is willing to let you cast and retrive, that may be a little different, you actually have to make some what of a presentation to entice the fish to strike. You did point out the guides put you into fish holding spots and tell you where to cast and such, what is important is taking the pointers and knowledge, ie. reading water, and proper presentation, being past on and using to increase your catches during your regular season, but your right they sure are fun trips

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
bill said:
you guys need to get more time off, I've hooked 4 fish in 8 trips to 4 differant systems so far this season and not once have I been to the Veddar and I have been off since last Friday and don't go back till Jan 07/08 :thumbup: you got to love banked time off
I'm thinking you need to invite o'le CK on one of these trips!:)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
So I guess if you have a friend who has his own personnel boat and takes you out, it doesn't count either.The fact of the matter is whether you pay money or not to go out in a boat, anyway you look at it is true steelheading.I have banked hundreds of hours on a boat and believe me there were alot of no fish days. In fact there have been days where all I saw was my float do nothing but float down river all day, not even a bite. You know I could probably drive a boat myself in certain rivers I've put so much time in.I've put a ton of time on foot too..........TONS!

OK! So it rubbed me the wrong way a little! Sorry about the rant! :cheers:
I can't wait to get out and hook some more steel on the LML.

Hotrod

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
hotrod said:
So I guess if you have a friend who has his own personnel boat and takes you out, it doesn't count either.The fact of the matter is whether you pay money or not to go out in a boat, anyway you look at it is true steelheading.I have banked hundreds of hours on a boat and believe me there were alot of no fish days. In fact there have been days where all I saw was my float do nothing but float down river all day, not even a bite. You know I could probably drive a boat myself in certain rivers I've put so much time in.I've put a ton of time on foot too..........TONS!

OK! So it rubbed me the wrong way a little! Sorry about the rant! :cheers:
I can't wait to get out and hook some more steel on the LML.

Hotrod
Well I've always felt that going out with a guide isnt the same thing - a few times when we were on vacation we went fishing with a guide - mainly in mexico and I just find it isnt the same thing. They fix up the rods and gear for you - tie all the knots and bait etc. And even set the hook - all you do is reel in. Its fun and all - but not the same thing. Actually last time we were in Mexico (Manzanillo) My husband caught his dream fish - a 8 1/2 ft sailfish and I caught a 4 1/2 ft dorado. They are both mounted on our livingroom wall - doesnt quite go with the decor - lol. The good thing about going out with a guide is you do learn the techniques and where to fish.
Just a note too - If you are ever in Mexico (or on vacation somewhere) and go fishing and want to bring home your catch - On your plane ride home when they ask you to write up the declaration of what you are bringing back - (Remember this) We wrote in our fish. And then what happened a year later when our fish actually arrived was they charged us duty and taxes again - but because we had declared them on our way home - we sent in the paper work and they re-imbursed us for the duty and taxes. (sorry I got a little off the subject there but I thought it was a good thing to know if you ever do want to bring home your catch)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.