BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone is in the sockeye right now, but man oh man...I have to share this!

We took a kid and his mom out fishing today and they had a blast with small bows. I left my 5 wt at home thinking maybe I can get lucky with a salmon on my 8wt. So while they were fishing, I thought I'd try a few casts:)

My son-in-law found a black leech-type fly pattern on the bank, with some red tinsel and rubber legs. I chucked it in the water, 2nd cast, BOOM! He bolted and tail-walked and ran towards a log! Brought him in, measured 20 inches but fat, and of course spotted-square tail, with a red strip along its side! ;) He was wild too! I kissed him twice and released him. After that I continued using this magic fly with nice hatchery bows to the beach and released, even some at about the 13 inch range, but feels nice on the flyrod:)

It's my 3rd summer-run steel this year! But my first on the fly:) I will never forget today, and I'm still smilin.' ;)

The only negative thing about today is no camera...it drowned in that same river a month earlier! I need a cam ASAP! But the memories will live!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Great news augie,i bet its an experiance that will give you memories for a long time,tried chasing a few summer runs my self but didnt have the same luck,cheers keep them coming.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Great job augie, hope that one grows up to be a hog and comes back to see ya. I was out there on monday and had a blast playing with that ones younger siblings with my largest at 16 inches but still lots of fun and non-stop action in certain pools, even had a few cutties as well.

I know everyone is in the sockeye right now, but man oh man...I have to share this!

We took a kid and his mom out fishing today and they had a blast with small bows. I left my 5 wt at home thinking maybe I can get lucky with a salmon on my 8wt. So while they were fishing, I thought I'd try a few casts:)

My son-in-law found a black leech-type fly pattern on the bank, with some red tinsel and rubber legs. I chucked it in the water, 2nd cast, BOOM! He bolted and tail-walked and ran towards a log! Brought him in, measured 20 inches but fat, and of course spotted-square tail, with a red strip along its side! ;) He was wild too! I kissed him twice and released him. After that I continued using this magic fly with nice hatchery bows to the beach and released, even some at about the 13 inch range, but feels nice on the flyrod:)

It's my 3rd summer-run steel this year! But my first on the fly:) I will never forget today, and I'm still smilin.' ;)

The only negative thing about today is no camera...it drowned in that same river a month earlier! I need a cam ASAP! But the memories will live!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome! Thanks, guys! It's indeed a nice memory that will make me smile for awhile:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts