BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,989 Posts
anyone fished around the breakwater as of late for winter springs? This place is a good spot to fish from the breakwater itself casting for springs usinf anchovie jige 2ozs. plan on spending a weekend there hopefully late jan early feb!

CK

· Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Works good if the herring show up CK... the last couple years have been dismal and the chance of hooking one in that close has been greatly reduced..
Did manage to get out just a little west of there today and managed one about 6 and a couple pin poppers that we didnt get to see.

· Registered
1,989 Posts
has it gotten that bad? Man i remember when i lived in vic we'd catch 2-3 springs a trip from the breakwater, and when it would slow down we'd catch a few herring that scooled up along the rocks and use them to catch red snapper, rock cod, ling cod ect i thought that place was fishing heaven! In the summer i'd walk right out to the lighthouse and cast a 2 1/2 inch green pearl buzz bomb and hook springs and coho as well and the odd chum! Mind you this was 10 plus years ago! Well i hope the huge sea run cutthroat trout that are also in the area are still around man those fish get huge!

CK

· Premium Member
2,719 Posts
The run of herring in the Gorge has been pretty much demolished.... Aswell remember the days when the winter springs would follow the schools right in, I havent even fished the Gorge herring in a few years because it hasnt been worth the effort. There IS lots of springs still around but they tend to stay with the feed.

· Registered
1,989 Posts
the gorge herring oh yes i remember the hords of people lined up on the craigflower bridge with there jigs just hammering them! seen alot of people sell there catch there too! Just keep in mind the gorge has some excellent cutty fishing if ya know where to look! AS WELL AS A FEW OTHER SPOTS ON THE WAY OUT TO THE HARBOR ENTRENCE1

CK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.