BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Victoria Harbor is absolutely full of juvenile herring right now; way more than I have seen in past years. This is a promising sign, since there have been concerns about herring populations lately. Anyway, I have been watching these schools for a week or so, and noticed larger fish darting among them, feeding. I assumed they were the first sea runs showing up, so I brought down my fly rod and took a few casts after work the other day. I saw fish chasing my fly a couple of times, slowed down my retrieve and WHAM! An adult herring. ;D Never caught one of those flyfishing before, and never thought they fed on smaller fish. Anyway, I have changed tactics and brought out the jig. I want to acumulate a few dozen live ones and go mooching, like the old days.

Incidentally, I was impressed by the fight these little guys put up. If you have a really light fly rod (I don't) I could see it being a fun thing to do for a few hours.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi Ambler. I live in Victoria and have heard of cutthroat in the harbour but dont know much about this fishery. Are there good numbers around and what time of year is the best. What flies work for them. What areas would you suggest trying.

Any info would be great. You could PM me if you wish.

On the herring front my friend thought the turnout was poor this year. He always goes out to Tillicum bridge when the herring show up which I thought was around Easter. Are these fish late returning or are they moving back into the ocean now?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never targeted the spawners from the bridge, but I think guys do that in march/April. The ones I was watching are very small young ones moving out to sea. The bigger ones are just cruising and feeding I think. There are often lots around Ogden Point.

PM is on the way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.