BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!!:D

following on from intro thread, my wife and I are visiting Kamloops from the UK mid May for a couple of weeks and I am hoping for a little advice. Our last trip there saw us visit only one Lake close to town as my friends didn't fish (then!) so we managed to get a couple of trips there in the evenings and get a few nice rainbows.
This time I hope to explore a little more, we have a car over there and I am currently weighing up the options with getting a couple of tubes to keep out there. I will be taking a #7 and an ultralight spinning outfit (unless anyone would advise me otherwise)

So, could anyone be kind enough to point me in the direction of any waters worth a look?

Also what other species are around that area besides those beautiful rainbows in May?

Many thanks in advance

Marc

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Hi Marc,

Welcome! There are literally hundreds of options in the Central Interior of BC in May. Most lakes hold rainbows but there are a few that have Eastern Brook Trout which are actually a species known as Char. If we continue to get warm weather this Spring, most of the lakes will have turned over and will be productive throughout May. If you have float tubes you can try Roche (or any one of the lakes around there), Tunkwa, Knouff, Paul, Heffley, too many to mention. All would be worth a look. May is usually a good month to try Chironomid patterns fished near the bottom using a strike indicator. Or you could try leech patterns, green, burgundy or black. A 7 weight is a bit overkill for most Interior lakes but if that is the only option it will be OK. There is also a ton of information (re: Google) and literature out there. You might even try a search of this site. A good book that will get you started in BC is 'The Gilly" and is available in most book stores. Also look for articles written by Brian Chan and Phil Rowley - two credible sources of information.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey Marc,

I live in Kamloops and fish fairly religiously throughout the year. As BGM stated there are almost too many lakes to note in the area, but I would be happy to point you were the fish are, or at some interesting water to fish while you are here. Fire me a PM when you are coming, and I will see what I can find for you... but only if when I head to the UK, you point me at the big brown trout!!! lol Keep in touch.

Soprano

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Marc,

I live in Kamloops and fish fairly religiously throughout the year. As BGM stated there are almost too many lakes to note in the area, but I would be happy to point you were the fish are, or at some interesting water to fish while you are here. Fire me a PM when you are coming, and I will see what I can find for you... but only if when I head to the UK, you point me at the big brown trout!!! lol Keep in touch.

Soprano
Thanks for taking the time to reply gents, most helpfull indeed!

Hopefully the UK will be behind us before long but I do have contacts in Ireland, Scottish highlands (the worst value for money Salmon fishing in the world:p) and others here, but if I'm still here I'll look after you!:D Might have to be small river browns though, grayling pike and perch though8)

Last time in Kamploops we fished Jacko lake as our friends were non anglers and its possibly the closest one to where they live.Others too judging by the amount of folk there

Are any of you aware of any (northern) Pike or Bass in the area at all? This is more for curiosity as I am aware of the great coarse fishing in other provences for Pike and musky and the Bass species but I did not encounter any on my previous trip, in fact when I asked I was told that they weren't liked much at all!
In the UK we have the atlantic salmon which although has never much appealed to me (see above!) its the only one and pretty scarce what salmons are about in Kamloops and what times of year please?

Thanks again

Marc

·
Registered
137 Posts
For Salmon, this year I believe is the dominant Lower Adams River run, so.... If 9 million fish don't disappear again we should have some sockeye up the river later in the year. There are usually springs that run as well in the Thompson, and don't forget those resident river bows that haunt most guys up here all year. Most of the streams are closed until summerish so I would either use that 7wt banging away on the river in hopes of a monster bow, or head to a couple of the local lakes and work those for a few days. If your a food fisher, and are looking for a salmon for table fare, I would head to stump lake, and try to hammer into those large kokanee that are stocked in that lake. Rumors abound of kokanee over 5lbs.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
For Salmon, this year I believe is the dominant Lower Adams River run, so.... If 9 million fish don't disappear again we should have some sockeye up the river later in the year.
I am sure Sopramo already knows this, but you cannot fish for any species of salmon in the Adams River, and where you can fish, it is heavily regulated as to when. I don't see this changing. The Federal government manages salmon stalks. Making matters even more complex is that you must also be familiar with Provincial regulations. Click here to see the Freswater regulations for salmon and check back often if you plan to fish for salmon in Region 3 as there are always in season changes as the fall migration is happening.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Indeed, but with the big run, comes the big bows out of the lake that feed at the trough so to speak, and there are openings for springs just down the way at Banana Island if you are so inclined. Last year we had a Rainbow from the Adams at was around 23", so there are great opportunities around or after the salmon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts