BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems quiet around here,gonna break the ice with a question I have in mind.

What fish related volunteer work could a young one attend? I am in need of 35 volunteer hours (well only 10 but +25 hours gets me 100$). I have been looking around for brood stocking/capture programs between now and May. Brood stocking/capture seems like a better option because I fish for about 11+ hours a day!

So what other options is there around here (lower rainland)

G

·
Try contacting the Freshwater Fisheries or Gofish BC website. The Steelhead Society is always looking, and the other option is create your own river clean up event.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I used to do a lot of volunteer work for the bccf (in river structures, anchoring large woody debris, stream fertilization, juvenile fish counts, that kind of stuff) but I don't know too much about them anymore. Might be worth looking into as well. As well as the Freshwater Fisheries Society for brood stock. I had two hatcheries in the Valley tell me didn't deal with volunteers directly because they were unreliable.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Seems quiet around here,gonna break the ice with a question I have in mind.

What fish related volunteer work could a young one attend? I am in need of 35 volunteer hours (well only 10 but +25 hours gets me 100$). I have been looking around for brood stocking/capture programs between now and May. Brood stocking/capture seems like a better option because I fish for about 11+ hours a day!

So what other options is there around here (lower rainland)
I would start by dropping in on your local hatchery, they will probably be able to use a hand, or know were to direct you.
Maybe hook up with a volunteer group that conducts river cleanups in your local area.
Who knows, the eagle river count in your area must be coming up, maybe that society has some volunteer work?
Lots of avenues to go down with a little bit of leg work.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is more "boating" than "fishing", but the Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons are always looking for volunteers & members. In addition to doing regular shoreline cleanups, we also perform regular Transport Canada Recreational Vessel safety checks, teach a huge variety of boating classes, liaise with the RCMP and SAR groups, organize cruises, as well as participate in a huge variety of community events. The Ridge/Meadows squadron is in need of a Treasurer, a Web Developer and a Communications/Marketing person right now. And, if you also become a member, you get huge discounts on boat/vehicle/home insurance as well as major discounts from many big local retailers like Rona as well as free subscriptions to some great boating magazines. Check out http://www.cps-ecp.ca/ or PM me for more info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts