BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know where I can pick up a "W" fitting? Is Hardy the only mfg or are there others available? any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
708 Posts
try Sea Run in Coquitlam....604-931-5044. The guys up there have a ton of rod building peices in stock.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Even Sea run is having difficulty in sourcing "W" fittings. They had to order one in for me a couple of years back and it took about a month.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Brian @ WestCoast fishing tackle builds a lot of nice rods I know he can find you one if he doesn't have one.
It's hard to find the old Hardy ones but there are some guys that make them and they're probably in their glory now that they're becoming the rage again.
I saw one on craigslist a couple months ago for $25.00
But don't think you'll get one for that price unless you're lucky.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
called Searun today and they are going to get back to me, I am just looking for the fitting, Hardy or not. Andrew there said that there is a guy who may be making them.

·
Registered
901 Posts
what kind of rod are you building aaron? you would be extremely fortunate to find a hardy w footing nowadays, even if you some how did find one it would be worth a lot of money. Jerry Wong makes a very good replica and thats where most shops get them, i have 2 of his and they are very nice but vvery pricey, i think its around 60 bucks. As far as i know he is out of stock and will have to make more

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what kind of rod are you building aaron? you would be extremely fortunate to find a hardy w footing nowadays, even if you some how did find one it would be worth a lot of money. Jerry Wong makes a very good replica and thats where most shops get them, i have 2 of his and they are very nice but vvery pricey, i think its around 60 bucks. As far as i know he is out of stock and will have to make more
Picking up a nice silver fitting with ring for $60.00 Your rod and JBJ's are where I got the idea really like the look. Right now I am either going to strip my Loomis GLX 1562 (really hate the sliding rings and cork) or considering a 13'6" CTS float blank which a bunch of the pinners out east rave about, pricey at $265 but gets really good reviews. Either way its gonna be a long rod. You got any nice blanks you want to get rid of?

·
Registered
901 Posts
I personally would not strip the GLX, that will void the warranty and with a 600 dollar rod that is not a good idea. are you looking for a noodle longer rod or something with a little backbone? I would personally look for a spey blank in the 13'0 region, in say a 7/8, tons of choices in action, colour etc and many can be had for less than the CTS. I have a 3106lb and a 3113MB brown blank sages but there not going anywhere anytime soon, ill probably tie them up and fish them

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Careful with Spey rod blanks built into gear rods, even Sage will not warranty a conversion, I know as I have a 14' Sage 8-9 weight that was built into a big water pin rod that is having warranty troubles.

I am presently working on having a number of different rods built specifically for CP, we are trying for a 12' medium action and a 13' medium action.
First prototype was ok but a little too fast action, hopefully the next round of blanks are better. With the west coast CP market considered small and not very lucrative many rod companys are not interested in catering to it.

I talked to rod builder Whonnock Joe about the W fittings the other day and he was saying they are not really very good and leaned me towards a fixed reel seat, as he is considered a top flight builder, I will take his advice.

If you go Spey conversion Hue, AVOID the 3 piece blanks and go 4 piece, 3 piecers are a pain in the ass to unfold after every bushwack, a 4 can just be broken into 2 pieces on the river and only taken down to 4 at days end.

You can also look at Talon rods and Batson rods for blank options.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm thanks for the advice KP and Rod. I am not wanting a noodle rod which is basically what the GLX is, just want a light 13'er that is not tip heavy and has some power in the butt. Right now it looks as though I will go CTS or Batson 1562, both are designated float/pin rods. I will stick with the titanium recoil guides though which are stock on the GLX and super light. Rod are you developing a Lami pin rod? Heard this some time ago but have yet to see anything come out.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Have been working with Lami to build a 12 footer for some time, they made a few blanks that we tested on chums, they were not quite the action we needed. The market for CP rods is very small in reality unless you include the Great Lakes guys, but it seems everyone caters to their noodle rods and ignores our market where big fish need a beefier rod.

Lamiglas has their new XMG graphite which is mucho light, now if they get the right taper with a slower action I think it would be a great rod.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey Hue, I'm fishing a 13' 3 pc rainshadow 6-10'and, IMO it's a great option for winter steel out here. Read up on the eastern forums to get more reviews. It will be far cheaper than the CTS and much more back bone than the GLX. Only complaint is the 3 pc for exact reasons as Rod has mentioned. If you're interested in giving it a try we could meet up on the Ched sometime and you could fish it. Cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts