BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was the second weekend of Oct 2010 and Edmonton was experiencing unseasonable warm fall weather.We were on Wabimun Lake 45 mins west of e-town on this fine fall day.Throwing spoons to the edge of the weed beds on the North Shore of this big lake moving West in direction when the first bite of the day happened! I was unprepared for the violent aggressive take and the powerful surge of a large Northen Pike that had smashed my spoon ,as soon as the battle begun the fish had buried itself in these Xmas tree like weeds that were growing from the bottom of Lake in this particular area and unfortunately I was not able to pull the fish free.Wow! I realized it was Game on and the next take would have to be met with a stronger reponse to prevent a repeat performance.We kept fishing and the next bite,I landed which turned out to be a nice fish,my largest of the day! We spent the rest of the afternoon with nobody else fishing this fine lake which is a strict catch and release fishery for large Northern Pike.We hooked about a dozen fish on this fine afternoon and landed six to the boat.My buddy and mentor on Alberta waters informed me that next time we go it will be in the month of June which is the best time to be fishing these brutes...cant wait!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Nice looking pike habitat and nice pics, pike hit with bad intentions and pull hard. That is a nice one in the photo.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey Dennis.

As teenagers we had a buddy who's folks had a cabin on Wabamum.

We used steel leaders and every Len Thompson spoon that was made. My old fav was the plain silver but they all hooked up.

Good times... And lots of chicks there back then too, they were harder to catch, but incredibly fun when you managed to hook one. :cheers:

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your both right...violent take and hard pull.Len thompson spoons,the Five of Diamonds and Red/White were the colors we used.Since the fishery went catch and release it is getting better and bigger with each passing yr.The last fish of the day was around 10 pds that my buddy landed and a friend of his hit a 18pder the weekend before!I had forgotten how much fun pike fishing is, as it had been awhile since the last time i got out.Cheers

·
Registered
261 Posts
Wow!

What an improvement.

If I remember correctly, the bigest we ever managed was around 5 -6 lbs. and that was big back then.

They are a ton of fun.

They are sooo aggressive.

I'd like to throw some big flies at em too .

Thanx for sharing.

Good stuff!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great photographer on that one and an even better guide. Get out here for the ice bud the hens will be thick !!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Reminds me of fishing as a kid. I grew up in Alberta. Pike are so aggressive and territorial I'll never forget the young 12" pike that literally swallowed my red devil spoon whole! And the spoon was nearly half it's size.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yea, these beasts are really fun to fight with. When we lived in Edmonton (moved 4yrs ago) we used to fish that lake mostly icefishing as I was too busy during summer . There're tons of whitefish in there also. Few years prior our move that lake was closed for fishing due to too much contamination caused by power plant on that lake and a few derailed trains loaded with chemical nearby...

/sorry for pic quality... had to scan it and convert into jpeg format/ icefishing edmonton.jpg

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the chance again to get out on Wabi and fish for Pike.We landed a couple of nice ones and lost a few.Overall the fishing was slow this time,very surprising as the conditions were perfect.Always enjoy getting out on this lake to target large Pike to 25pds.Total catch and release lake.Next time we hope to catch more and get that elusive lunker!Great scrappers on light gear.My bud lost a real decent fish that swam under the boat and spat the hook out.:peace:

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts