BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'm taking an impatient fishing friend up to the area and was wondering if anyone had opinions or tips on these 3 lakes.

Quantity of fish and ease or fishing are more important than trophes.

elp please

·
Registered
66 Posts
Walloper

Walloper would be the place to go if he is impatient.

They Stocked Walloper...and they shouldn't have because the fishing was just getting decent with 1 pd average. If you want to catch a lot of fish, Size not overly too important, I would go there. They bite on almost anything you can throw at them. There are some "larger...cough cough" fish in there....but most are generally about 9 inches long. Getting there is easy, the dock is fairly decent, and the boat launch is fairly easy to get to.

K

·
0 Posts
Walloper

I agree with KamFam....Go with Walloper, your garanteed using any attractor fly. :wink:

Good Luck!

k-go

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any suggestions on which fly? I know he has a few of the BC standards like doc spratley, 52 Buick, etc.

I was hoping by getting a little more into matching the hatch it would be more interesting.

K

·
0 Posts
Those should work, but you may want to also try shrimp, leech, wolley bugger patterns in various colors, as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Walloper

I've gotten alot of response out there from a size 10 and 12 green 52 buick, I've heard that a dark green leach works very well too. most people that start fly fishing can't catch anything for a long time (or so i've heard) but on the buick... the fish don't seem to care that my line lands in a splash

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wonderful.....I have lots of those to test out.

Geez, if the fish are 9 inches they are awfully small. I may have to dig out the 4 weight rod so it will at least be a "struggle".

·
Registered
66 Posts
4 weight?

If you want a struggle.....just throw an eye onto the top of a willow branch and use it to fish with.... naw, just kidding...all i have is a 6 weight, and sometimes you will get the odd one that can grab and go. a 4 would be so much nicer tho. definetly a good battle for the little guys. oh, and the hatchery fish in there...have been in there feeding so much now, that the hatchery flavour is almost gone.

·
Banned
187 Posts
I was up at another lake down from stake, mconnel i think? nailed about 10-12 in about 3 hours, and they fight like tanks, I dont think they fight as hard in walloper, my friend told me they are pretty lame scrapers. Maconolls fish are 12" and fight on the 6wt unbeliveable, I also manage to get a 2-3lbs spawner from shore, but i didnt know that were spawning, so I stoped trying for them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hopefully the bite will be one while we are there and I can test the rod out.

I was up in the Yukon and used a 3 weight to catch grayling which is a ton of fun. In one stretch my partner caught a fish on 32 consecutive casts. Now that's fishing!!! Okay, it's not fishing............... it's catching.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts