BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the story begins with a boat ride out to the middle of the river. Had a tough time setting up the anchor on the loose agregate bottom but finally got it set up. Me and a buddy start BB for sockeye like the rest of the boat crowd that's there. Soon, along comes a Zodiak with a big outboard. I know what you're thinking. DFO's, that's right. They're driving up the channel closer to the boats than they need to be and as they are going by they catch on to our BB rigs. Both of us cast at the same time just before the DFO boat came by. Let me tell ya, the line is flying out of my reel. We start yelling and getting too excited. :evil: All I could see what my power pro line ($35 to spool up) going up river with the DFO boat. Then just like Christmas in July, the line goes slack and we both got our line still attached. :p After all that I got my whole rig back and my friend only lost his hook not leader saver, leader or betty.

My point, the DFO were not so bright in driving around and spooling guys line off their reels. PAY ATTENTION TO WHERE YOUR ARE FRIGGEN DRIVING. Yes, the river if for all of us to use but be mindful of the investment that we are all chucking out into the river. It could have turn out worse, like breaking my reel cause I was trying to break it off or something else. But it didn't. Sometimes the boater and the reelee aren't so fortunate. I'm not pissed that the DFO was there. I'm glad to see them. But I'm ticked that they are driving over my line. I've heard many other stories about this happening to other guys that get their line taken by boat traffic in to to close.

My beef today. Some of you will say, stop BB. I will soon. I'm nearly done with the sockeye.

Peace

·
Registered
271 Posts
I know what you mean. Had an older guy and his wife drive over both mine and my buddies line. He did stop and I yelled at him to cut it off as I was running out of Power pro also. People drive way too close to the fishers and sooner or later some one will get hurt with 2-4oz in the head. By the way was that on Saturday. Seen the DFO zodiac go by spaghetti then a couple ours later they were towed into MacDonald launch from the back channel above. Maybe they took out there bottom seal and cooked the leg or just hit bottom. A lot of people don't know what kind of damage that line does to your bottom seal till they blow it up... hehehehe

Cheers, Rob

·
Registered
612 Posts
I think some of the DFO boat pilots need to go back to boat driver school...
Had them circle my boat 2 weeks ago when I was standing on the bow playing a spring..
Unnecessary and dangerous,,they got an education when they saw me an hour latter at the boat launch...
Asked for their boating certificate,,,all I got was a blank stare from her.....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Nothing like stirring up a bunch of waves and unneeded anxiety while trying to boat a chinook.
I tell ya.
Had an old boy come chugging up river when we were at grassy last week. He was bow up and heading for some boats. Turns out the reason he wasn't paying attention was that he was busy BAILING :shock: He limped to shore and asked us if he could youe a cell to call a buddy. He had an older WOOD boat, about a 12'. Keep in mind, it's about 7:45 and the sun had set.
He said the evening before, he hit the bunk on his trailer pretty good and cracked it. Heres the good part. He said when he was heading DONWSTREAM to go fishing, he said water was pouring in. I'm like huh??? Why didn't he turn around right then????
When we were pullling out, his buddy came roaring in and launched in a flash to save the day.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sockeye season is STUPID season on the Fraser Ive seen so many guys in their river Harleys going by at 55 MPH that its stupid. I saw a guy at Peg on Sunday in a 12' boat with a six horse motor three big men, two kids going up stream at .5 mph with about six inches of freeboard. Real smart. I saw the same DFO boat do a high speed pass about 100' off shore on the walk in side at Peg . I was hopping they were there to bust the natives who drifted the net into a boat anchored at the top of Peg not once but twice! No such luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My encounter with the DFO Zodiack was on Sunday afternoon at Spaghetti. That's funny that they were towed into McDonald launch on Saturday. Think they'd learn.

And yes, Sockeye season brings out the stupid in people. :shock: This too shall pass.

Thanks for the stories.

·
Registered
17 Posts
How about the guys in their jet that anchor about 50 feet out and 30 feet downstream of a about a 11 year old kid trying for some sockeye. Of course he hooked their anchor. They did move but to me their move was just plain ignorance in the first place. And whats with all the idiots who run the river in the dark at full throttle with no running lights? At some point two of these idiots will meet. Oh well more bleach for the gene pool.
Big Svend

·
Registered
612 Posts
Thats why I always carry a full first aid kit,,,two tow ropes and a lots of water....You never know when you will be called on to lend a hand to the less than lucky or inexperienced boaters who don't think before putting the pedal down on the river...
Had to give a couple some cold water bottles last week as they came out fishing with no food or water and were looking mighty ragged after a few hours in the sun...And they had the nerve to say the water was too cold....Geez.. :roll:
I had to bite my tongue.. :shock:
At least fishing is seldom boring for me....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts