BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went Dino fishing yesterday on the Fraser. This was just downstream of the dock at the container port at Nelson rd in Richmond.
Looking up towards New west,
My size 12 foot print for scale.

Looking down stream.
Kind of an oily mess, it has soaked into the sand so I guess it's not crude or bunker (I've been told they would be sitting on top not soaking in. Anyways, called the authorities, Ministry of environment and Coast guard and actually got a almost immediate call back from the coast guard hovercraft. Hate to see such crud on the beach I salmon fish on. I'll wander out there to see if it's the same today. Tight lines & clean beaches!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hummm, just got an email back from the coast guard, they say it appears to be organic matter, not oil. I've never seen this in many years of fishing that spot. What organic matter is blackish, and looks like it was at the high tide line? Hope it's all vanished by july 15!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's creosote residue. They are loading a barge just upstream and apparently the deck was covered in creosote residue. When they walked an excavator onto the barge a bunch of liquid (goo) spilled into the river. This according to the workman I chatted up today. The barge was being loaded with waste railroad ties etc.. Still not a pretty sight. If it was from Burns Bogg, it would have been along the south shore which apparently it is not. Just a note, this is just a few hundred feet from the proposed fuel barge facility for the airport jet fuel supply.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts