BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got back from 4 days of fishing off the west coast of Vancouver Island in Ucluelet and I am still trying to find my land legs as everything is still moving up and down. The chinook fishing was slow but the fishing for halibut, ling cod and bottom fish was really good. Was able to bring home my limit of all 3. We ended up fishing at the Canadian princess resort which was ok, but wont be doing it again. At some points it felt like sockeye fishing in the ocean as you can have upto 20 people on the boat jigging in 200 feet of water, not exactly my cup of tea. It was fun though as the crews on the boat where alot of fun and so was some of the other guest. Had the most fun on our last trip out yesterday on the coho princess with Keith( captain) and deck hands Morgan and Trevor. Keith got us onto fish for 3.5 hours straight and man did I have a workout reeling in halibut and ling cod. My biggest Halibut was 24lbs and my biggest ling cod was 15lbs. Here is a picture of the Halibut.

We also had Keith as our captain on a bottom fishing trip where he also got us onto fish the entire time and he was able to call some eagles over and did they ever put on a show collecting their dinner.

Now the trips out to the big bank where 2hours out and 2 hours back. You only had about 3.5 hours of actually fishing time. The trips out and back where pretty boring and was mostly spent catching up on some sleep. The last trip with Keith though nobody slept as we where entertained all the way out with dolphins and on the way back with humpback whales breaching everywhere. Here is a picture from some of the Halibut that where caught on our last trip out on Tuesday morning.

And here is a picture of Morgan, one of the deck hands filleting a halibut. Now here is someone that knows how to use a knife. Man I would not want to piss her off :happy:.

So if you do decide to want to give this a try and you go to this resort try to request the boat the coho princess as they will make the day alot of fun and you will be onto alot of fish. We had 18 halibut and 28 ling cod on the boat.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sea where calm except for on sunday. But that just made the fishing more interesting :happy: . It was funny listening to people talk about all the gravel they have been taking and seeing the patches behind their ears as well. I am lucky I do not need any of that :thumbup: .

·
Registered
789 Posts
nice report geff sounds like you had allot of fun, when i get home this weekend from being on the northern island (Port Mcniell and Port Hardy) i will do up my report as well , lots of halibut and coho what a blast !!!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yeah I have been on those "puke boats" in some solid swell. They would not take us out to big bank but stayed close to shore. Lots of guys never made it out of the bathroom. I myself had to sit on deck for spells. One good thing is the rocking of the boat actually made it so you did not even have to jig the rod manually!

I agree that fishing from these boats would not be my first choice of fishing methods. Hire a small charter boat if you can afford it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Try Island West. They are located very close to the Canadian Princess and have smaller boats for charters. The guides are very good and you can bring your own boat there and use their docks if you wish. I wouldn't go out of there with your own boat without a good navigation system though. It can be hard to find your way back in the fog!

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Oh the famous puke boats
Been there. Done that. Jig, hurl, apologize to the lady next to you, fight fatigue from the Gravol, hurl, apologize the guy to the right of you, hear the Captain say 'there's bait showing on the sonar', jig, you get the picture. Won't do it again. I agree with vanislealoha. Spend the extra money to do it right.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Big Green Machine said:
Oh the famous puke boats
Been there. Done that. Jig, hurl, apologize to the lady next to you, fight fatigue from the Gravol, hurl, apologize the guy to the right of you, hear the Captain say 'there's bait showing on the sonar', jig, you get the picture. Won't do it again. I agree with vanislealoha. Spend the extra money to do it right.
Yup I totally agree. I had no idea that this was going to be this kind of fishing. It was fine as a one time thing, but I will never do it again.

·
Registered
789 Posts
we fished anchovi's salmon peices and herring around alert bay picked up 2 more halibut today we were fihsing around 135 ft across from the 2 no anchor signs. all mine have been letting th bait hit bottom and leaving it there jig every once in a while, my father in law lets it hit bottom then reels up a bit , either or will work. bear point produced a couple of springs today but still slow

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FishFreak said:
we fished anchovi's salmon peices and herring around alert bay picked up 2 more halibut today we were fihsing around 135 ft across from the 2 no anchor signs. all mine have been letting th bait hit bottom and leaving it there jig every once in a while, my father in law lets it hit bottom then reels up a bit , either or will work. bear point produced a couple of springs today but still slow
Get any Atlantics yet LOL. There should be about 30,000 of them around there somewhere.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Barbless said:
Try Island West. They are located very close to the Canadian Princess and have smaller boats for charters. The guides are very good and you can bring your own boat there and use their docks if you wish. I wouldn't go out of there with your own boat without a good navigation system though. It can be hard to find your way back in the fog!
May I suggest my buddies charter service Glen K @ Pacific Rim Fishing Charters he's top notch he ran 2- 28ft'rs one of them runs twin 250HP Suzukies & this year he added a 32 & 38 Bayliners for better guest creature comfort his fleet operates out of the GUVY dock

http://www.pacificrimfishingcharters.ca/

·
Registered
789 Posts
people are always looking for a good charter, for myself personally dont need one, my father in law is (Retired Guide) in this area so he knows all the sweet spots, even a few of the charters out here have been reporting it really slow right now.

·
Registered
578 Posts
FishFreak said:
people are always looking for a good charter, for myself personally dont need one, my father in law is (Retired Guide) in this area so he knows all the sweet spots, even a few of the charters out here have been reporting it really slow right now.
DIDO I just know alota guides GREAT WAY TO GET COORDINATES :thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.