BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm from Orange County, California and have family living all over Canada. In a few weeks a will be heading up to Nanaimo to spend time with my Aunt and Uncle for a few days before heading off along the West Coast Trail from Pachena Bay to Port Renfrew. I'm a die hard fisherman and try to include fishing into every trip I go on, this hike will be no exception. My question is, what should I expect to catch, and what type of gear should I bring. I know the trail is littered with streams, rivers, and ponds, but it also follows the coast. I am willing to fish the freshwater, or salt, but can't commit myself to bringing too much fishing gear, so any specifics will help me out a lot.
Thank You

·
Registered
266 Posts
I can't offer any info on freshwater but you could probably catch something in the salt. I've seen hikers take a folding rod and reel with a few buzz bombs and cast or jig off the rocks almost anywhere along the way. Probably you could catch a rock or ling cod, especially if you crack a musssel and use it for bait. It's possible to catch a salmon too if your lucky. You can always buy a crab or two at Wyac.

·
Registered
73 Posts
There are a few rivers and creeks that you will cross as well as a water fall that pretty much empties right into the ocean...I would double check the fresh and salt water regs though because some of the creeks might be closed...if you can fish in the creeks I figure you should get into cutthroat (both searun and costal mabey a westslope) and rainbow trout.

·
Registered
15 Posts
right were the ferry drops you off or picks you up in port renfrew i caught a good sized chinook salmon casting a buzbomb. but they where only there cause the herring and smelt where there

1 - 5 of 5 Posts