BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to fly fishing, and so far it is great. This has been a question that has had me wondering for a long time. I currently have a reel with floating fly line, so I only have dry flies. However in my area it is often very windy, and I was wondering if I could attach wet flies to my floating line. I have read of stories where people have just tied on a different fly to the same line, but I didn't know if it would work. I have also heard of people attaching dry AND wet flies on ONE line, but I think this is illegal in my region.

thanks!

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
kssm said:
Hello, I am new to fly fishing, and so far it is great. This has been a question that has had me wondering for a long time. I currently have a reel with floating fly line, so I only have dry flies. However in my area it is often very windy, and I was wondering if I could attach wet flies to my floating line. I have read of stories where people have just tied on a different fly to the same line, but I didn't know if it would work. I have also heard of people attaching dry AND wet flies on ONE line, but I think this is illegal in my region.

thanks!
Sure you can. Most nymph fishing in rivers is done with a floating line as is chironomid fishing in lakes. The use of a dropper (a nymph tied to a dry fly) is illegal in BC.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
you may need a little split shot on your leader to get the fly down in a reasonable amount of time/keep it at a fishable depth. Other options include weighted flies (have lead wrapped around the hook shank below the materials) and "sink" solutions that you apply to the fly. The latter just decreases the hydrophobicity so the fly absorbs water better after being dried by casting and this allows it to sink a bit better.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
you can also use flies with beadheads which help it to sink faster as well :thumbup: and instead of a split shot you can add a swivel to help it sink the same way. they also have different options for weights instead of shot, there is also putty weight which is just rolled onto the line and then "matchstick" lead which is used much in the same way. I recommend the putty lead as it casts alot better :thumbup: and stays put longer

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I tried the putty on the line, but found it screwed up the loops (made the backcast dip and be uneven)..I bought some REALLY TINY micro shot...(non lead) and tried them recently...worked way better.......Ortho 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.