BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I started out leaving home at 4am. Picked up my Dad and we were off to Gill Bar to launch the boat. That is when the day started :? , while getting the boat ready for the river I was getting out and slipped on the aluminum and bailed to the rocky ground. Bashed my ankle, hand and my ribs...a little sore but after a quick inspection I realized that no one saw me fall. Saved from the embarrasment.

I decided to start at Ferry Island as it produced well for me last year when the socks were open. We arrived at the bar to see no one was there other than some campers BArfishing. I thought it was strange but it wasn't that busy last year so I figured no one had made it there yet. Here is a pic of just after arrival.

After 2 hours and about 10 drift nets I decided to find another spot. We headed down river to Jepersons and it was packed. I could have squeezed in but seeing as how it was my Dads first time fishing since we moved from Terrace in 89 I decided to find a quieter spot and hope for some luck.

Well after no luck :cry: I decided to see what Spaghetti Bar was like. We headed back upriver and spaghetti was packed too. While running by to check out Herling I wasn't really paying enough attention to the water and just when I noticed the change in the river...BAM motor kicks up. Check out the pics of the prop and skeg!

Just goes to show you that it isn't only about knowing what to look for but looking for it all the time. If I had noticed the river change 2 seconds earlier I could have saved myself this headache. After that we decided to call it a Day.
My Dad was extremely happy to get out fishing even though our luck was horrible, I have brought him back to the Dark Side! He is already talking about when we should go next.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Ouch Trav ........ sorry about your bad luck ..... The ironic thing is that I was telling Big Steel and Rod In Hand about the depth (2 feet) in the middle of the flow out from Herling on our way back down river. Sorry you found it. :cry:

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Trav that sucks!! :cry: Hopefully you will have much better luck out there next time. I don't care what type of fishing it is, anytime you get out with your Dad it is something to feel good about. Perhaps not the luck you had today of course, but...
I had no idea the water was only about 2 feet deep out there till GoFish showed us. A rookie like me could at all tel just from looking at it, and I would have been sure to meet the same fate as you!! It is a good thing that I don't have a boat!! :shock: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
54 Posts
doh.... :shock: :shock: Sorry about your luck dude...you should send Bigjoe a line and see if you can hook up with him/us since we are from the same neck of the woods....If you bring smiles, you are more than welcome to join us and see if we can't get some slamon for the old man :D :D

·
Registered
730 Posts
if your around langley I know this great marine mech who will fix that prop like new for 60 bucks, best outboard mechanic I know and can TRUST!!!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Ouch! :shock: That's a rough break...I'm sure some bent rods would've eased the pain of that one ST...

I made it out for the am shift...Not to much exciting going on where I was..Not great numbers coming from the drift netters from what I could tell...I managed a few bent rods at day break...However it was a slow start for me, as I only brought 1 to hand which is headed straight for the barby. :) Feeling satisfied enough, I headed home early to catch a few Zzzz, and then took the family out for a short while in the evening..However I spent more time minding them than fishing...In all a nice lazy Sunday..Now it's back to reality for another five days...

Finder :wink:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya, it is a painful lesson. Fortunately I carry 2 spare props on board, luckily I didn't have to swap one on the river. The worst part about it is once i noticed I was in some slack water I realized my mistake. By trying to correct myself to find deeper water is when I hit that bar.

It was a good day on the flow and my Dad still enjoyed himself as I was somewhat comical with my misfortunes. By the way, can anyone tell me why Ferry is so slow now? Last year it was really good fishing.

·
Registered
176 Posts
That's a bummer!!!!!
The main reason I run jet pumps on rivers and props in the salt

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Hey Steelie , thats too bad. I was keeping an eye out for you but I guess I was too busy catching fish. Saw a 4lb jack caught and man did it look small ! One guy said , all jacks are white but I find that hard to believe. Can any one confirm this ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
marko said:
Hey Steelie , thats too bad. I was keeping an eye out for you but I guess I was too busy catching fish. Saw a 4lb jack caught and man did it look small ! One guy said , all jacks are white but I find that hard to believe. Can any one confirm this ?

Wife caught a red jack yeserday about 4lbs.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Steelie - if it makes you feel any better, I saw a nice shiny jet boat come rippin up river and I hear a big racket. I turn to see his boat spin out after he hit a shallow bar.
I bet he needed a change of shorts after that one!!!! :shock:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
i've seen lots of people thisyear bottom out with there outboards weather it be prop or jet the river changes everyyear so it's hard to stay ontop of all the shallow spots!

C.K.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if your around langley I know this great marine mech who will fix that prop like new for 60 bucks, best outboard mechanic I know and can TRUST!!!
How can you fix a prop like that, 1/4 of it is gone! But if its doable I am definately interested.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Trav,
That prop is easily repaired by a competent prop man...A little welding and balancing and it will be as good as new....
I've seen props with whole blades ripped off that were fixed and served years after...

·
Registered
21 Posts
fishhog said:
The main reason I run jet pumps on rivers

That's all well and good, but having run both props and jets in the river I can say that I've had my share of repairs to jets. All it can take is something unwanted to get past the screen. Even fishing line can get sucked in and destroy a seal. The nice thing about a prop is that they are easily replaced and are usually in stock.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Hey :idea: :idea: ....... I certainly don't want to suck any fishing line into my jet and destroy a seal ........ SOOOOOOOOOO....... from now on no one is allowed to use fishing line in the Fraser .............. except maybe me sometimes of course. :wink: :wink:

Just think of the cost savings to us guys and gals ............... no more re-spooling ........ no more rats nests ...... no more hooks, swivels, and bouncing betties to lose .......... and we'll never lose another fish!!!!!! Just think about it ....... every one wins ...... even the fish. Think of the big specials the fishing stores will put on to attract sales. Imagine the stories we can tell about that "big one" we caught. Or the one that got away. And no one can call us a liar because we're all fishing with the same gear .......... our minds and our imagination. (Well almost the same gear .... :? ) And all those Sockeye!!!! MAN WHAT A DAY!!! :D

Best of all ...... it's environmentally friendly and I won't blow a seal!!!! :wink:

GOFISH 8)

(Now is this twisted humour ....... did I blow a seal ...... or am I outta my mind???? No...... don't answer that!!! :lol: :lol: )

1 - 19 of 19 Posts