BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,got a chance to go to the river today and here comes a report to those who consider fishing the
vedder for the weekend,couase I know how it feels to go out to the flow with no recent updates. ;)

Got to the river at around 5;15 this morrning,first thing I see no good, came up a bit and low vis at the bridge,I decide to head up river,made the decition where to start,riged up and here we go.
Fished the first run for half an hour no luck, decide to go bit fruther up couse two guys showed up and I kinda like peace when I fish.
Got to the next run,as I hiked in good sign I see two fish rise in about two mins,mind you vis was this morning about 2 1/2 feet only, as the day went it got better.
First cast nothing,second cast feel a slight hit, hezitate for a second and then the float poped up an inch set the hook and fish on,good fight,landed him with in 3min 12 pound range red spring,with a slight bit of coloure to him,quick release and get back to work.
Fished the entire run hard for the naxt hour and a half nothing exept two beautiful rainbows,that stunned me with its size,both of them were pushing three pounds,beautiful fish.
After that, the action stopped for a while,I had breakfest and tryed fishing the run below with no success.
As i looked over my right shoulder I see risers again in the top run where I was before,reel in and got back,first cast I hook up again but only for about ten seconds and gone.
Cast to the same spot and hit again but I missed,back again and same story only this time action for good,this fish was very bright and took me for a good ride,but I manage to land it within in 5 min same size as the previous one but very bright,let him go and took a break again.
When I started to fish again had a couple more little bows on a small size indian blade,and then the socks started coming in huge numbers,I'm no goona exaturate but there were hundreds.
Unfortunatly for me,that's when the action stoped again for a while.
When the socks moved up it was dead for few minutes then something very strange happened,as I was targeting reds I was fishing quit fast water and all the hits I've had were extremly gentle,what I find wierd, but the next hit shook my hand for good,solid as it comes,hook set and the fight of my life,this fish was super bright and was air born more times then any other fish I've hooked before,but couldn,t tell what it was as the fight was happening far away from me.
When it came closer,I thought for a second it was a dream,not even in my wild guesses would I ever think that I would catch a chum salmon in july on the vedder river,this fish was a chrome bullit with sealice,maybe ten pound buck,I was all alone no camera no nothing so no picks for you ,and still can't belive this happened,this fish was so bright looked like I was fishing in the ocean.
As I was so exited about the succes of the day,decided to end it there it was around 1;30,headed back home with some strange thoughs in my head,by the way if anyone had a such experiance I would like to hear it.
For those who are on a learning rollercoaster,this was my set up;

Medium action rod 10''6',small abu garcia revo as I like light gear and still saving up for a centerpin,14lb main line,with a 35gram DNE float, pencil lead on a three way swiwel,an a one foot 10lbleader,I fished mostly in about 4 to 6 feet of water,and my setup was two feet of the bottom at least at all times.
I was fishing jigs riged with prawns as that is my own personal referance,and I think it works very good if presented right,I switched to blades for a while but came back as prawns were more seccesful.
Like to mention one litlle thing about jigs at the end,reason I use jigs is,when you fish prawns on a bare hook in fast water your presentation floats swinging left and right at the same hight as your lead and there is a bigger chance of flossing a fish that way,and when riged on a jig,becouase of the weight of the head the prawn sinks right down and is fished if dead drifted,on a 90 degree angle from the surface and not swinging left and right and you won,'t floss any sockaye.
As you can see from my report if you short float even in between hundreds of sockeye, they are not even gonna sniff your presentation.

Give it a try and you will see that it will pay of sooner then you think.
Hope this is helpful to some and have good luck out there. :happy: :thumbup:

·
Registered
901 Posts
great report :thumbup:
just what i needed as i am heading out there in the morning and was a bit worried about the rain from the other day
I will have shrimp, roe, wool and jigs to try

I will post when i get back 8)

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Nice day ya had there R-vac...Chum in July eh...? Hmmmm...must've gotten lost the poor guy. Probably followed the socks in...

You were asking about others experiences like your own today, well, it wasn't July, but here's a link to an amazingly clean chum around xmas that Fish Finder let me tail for him...

http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forum/index.php/topic,5614.0.html

Props to you for avoiding the socks and choosing a technique that obviously worked a whole lot better than the long leader floss approach...

Thanks again for a great report,

:thumbup:

rib

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Rib,fish was the exact same brightness as the one on the pick,but smaller in size tho,but what a hummer that was wish you could witness that.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Iron,I only sportfish,very rarely that I eat fish anyways,don't get me wrong, but there is nothing wrong with killing a fish once in a while for table fare,but if I go to the store and buy the one thats already been killed for me and ,release mine,less fish get killed after all. :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.