BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
452 Posts
The dodgy thing about these (if you found it in BC) is that they have much lower temperature tolerance than most aquarium fish.
From wikipedia, "While normal temperature range of the species in the wild is 18–26 °C (64–72 °F), it can survive water temperatures down to 5°C (41°F); this makes it an ideal fish for keeping in an unheated aquarium in cold climates. pH levels should range between 6.0 and 8.0."

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Adam's lake. There were thousands upon thousands of them. These are shiners I believe. They do match up with photo's I've been able to locate, and red sided shiners do tend to present much more vibrant colors when spawning, which is what I believe they were doing when I found them...

They were all up in the shallows in giant schools. My understanding is these shiners can outcompete our rainbows for food. Basically they get to the insects and other aquatic food sources so much more quickly and effectively than our sportfish do.

Obviously our fish will key in on them at times, but as is often the case, they tend to key in on different items throughout the year and thus allow these little shiners a bit of relief from time to time. Now having said that, those rainbows that do get to feed on these little morsels will grow very large, but the numbers of fish will suffer, and I wonder how their offspring will do as the fish population turns over and the smaller fry have to compete with extreme numbers of shiners...

In the states I was told that often browns or sterile hybrids are introduced to try and combat growing shiner populations. Here in BC, MoE has taken the approach of introducing Blackwaters to try and achieve the same result.

Curious as to everyone's thought's on this. Perspectives...

I have heard of quite a few other lakes that now have shiners also. I think I read somewhere that they are native to our province as well, that ones hard to swallow though...

Anyone have more info, or knowledge of other lakes besides Adams, Fawn or Courteney...? I know Harmon in the Kane valley has them...

Anyone specifically try to imitate them with a "Red Shiner" pattern and achieved significantly higher success versus typical minnow imitations...?

...and lastly, has anyone here encountered a situation where indeed the 'bows were keyed in on red sided shiners, and nothing else...?

:cheers:

rib

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.