BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
LoL, very nice... ;D Who put those up FF...? They look like official signs, but are they...?

I like 'em! :thumbup: :thumbup: I wonder though , how many of those who do floss their fish actually realize the sign applies to them...?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Maybe it will make people at least wonder what flossing is and maybe ask someone on the river. They might even get a response like "Well, it's what you're doing right now." I agree that it won't deter those who willfully use unsporting tactics, but it might serve to educate those who don't know any better and rig up that way just because that's how they've seen others do it.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
those signs sure look legit to me :thumbup: glad to see them. too bad they shoul dhave posted the fine amount for being busted doing this :happy: oh thats right, there isnt one :confused:

·
Registered
507 Posts
This is great,a step forward towards something that we all wish will happen.
ribwart said:
LoL, very nice... ;D Who put those up FF...? They look like official signs, but are they...?

I like 'em! :thumbup: :thumbup: I wonder though , how many of those who do floss their fish actually realize the sign applies to them...?
Hey Rib you know what I wonder,how many of those who do floss their catch actually know that they are flossing.
Most of the people I see flossing don't know better, someone needs to show them how it's actually done,they learened wrong and don't know any better.
For example,witnessed one guy today mid river,he was fishinig below me at the point,I realized he was using a 8foot leader.Later I started to talk to him and asked him what is the purpose of his long leader;
he said; someone told him that he will catch the fish easier if the leader is longer.
After a while talking to him I explained to him what is the right, ethical way of catching fish,how to present the bait so the fish actually strikes the presentation.
he said; he didn't even know that stealhead bite(strike)the bait.
|Hopefully you guys understand what I mean,this person obiviously needs to do a little bit of studying before he gets out to fish the river,as many guys intentionaly snag that many guys snag their fish not even knowing how they did it.
By the way,you can only imagine,people like this guy probably have no clue about regulations and everything they need to know before they start fishing.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
The signs do not have a "home". They are not government signs, nor do they have any display at the bottom that they were placed by any specific group which is unfortunate....By taking the time to have them made up, and attching them at the river, they are showing the same concern as many others on this board...Too bad we don't know who the people are. I think those out walking their dogs and jogging will get a few laughs from the sign, as they will relate it to oral hygeine............NO SNAGGING ANY FISH......might bring more public awareness......Ortho 8)

·
Registered
116 Posts
fishortho said:
The signs do not have a "home". They are not government signs, nor do they have any display at the bottom that they were placed by any specific group which is unfortunate....By taking the time to have them made up, and attching them at the river, they are showing the same concern as many others on this board...Too bad we don't know who the people are. I think those out walking their dogs and jogging will get a few laughs from the sign, as they will relate it to oral hygeine............NO SNAGGING ANY FISH......might bring more public awareness......Ortho 8)
Well said.

No Snagging hits home more than "No Flossing".

It's not to hard to guess the group that did this (if these are actual posted signs). If they are it would be nice for the people involved to get some stones and post there thoughts behind this.
I like their idea but until the flossing issue is changed in the regs this will conitinue to be an on going battle.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would like to see a whole lot more signs down by the river for steelhead season saying... DON'T BE A FENCE POST, also a few saying, YES! IT'S A FREE COUNTRY AND IF YOU LOW HOLE ME I WILL BE FREE TO HOOK YOUR EAR!!!

I don't get it? This year seems the worst I've seen for guys (especially older guys who think the river is theirs and we all shouldn't be allowed to fish it, but I never see a one of them at any clean ups etc.) that seem to have no qualms with low holing you and then fence posting like it's salmon season!!! Watched two yesterday at the train bridge, they are there regularly, they sit and watch as everyone is moving through and then walk out and fence post, don't care if they just low holed you, don't care that everyone else has to reel in and walk around them...Thank god for one guy who just kept fishing and passed right in front of them..they didn't even say a word...they know they are doing it and just don't care!!!

I see so much crap about short floating etc. yet I see the some of the same guys constantly low hole and post!! What gives with this sheeit!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
maybe some of these "old" guys have difficulty moving around the river? that is why they stand in one spot? Maybe they have been fishing longer then a lot of us and they realize thats what works for them? Or maybe they just feel like standing there they have every right to stand there just as anyone else has a right to reel in there line and then walk past them and cast it again once past! ::)

·
Registered
151 Posts
fyrslyer said:
just as anyone else has a right to reel in there line and then walk past them and cast it again once past! ::)
I think the point you're missing is that these guys are spey fishing, and you can't just reel up your line and walk around, it would mean that you would miss 1/2 of the fishable area, as guys tend to roll in and low hole you just as you are working your way into the best part of the run...

All fishers need to understand that during steelhead season, if they were not at that run first, they need to step in above fishers who are actively stepping through a run, it makes no difference what type of fishing they are doing. Observation needs to be done first before stepping in.

Respect! :peace:
Nicole

PS> By the way, LOVE the sign!!! Totally awesome!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
xgolfman said:
I would like to see a whole lot more signs down by the river for steelhead season saying... DON'T BE A FENCE POST, also a few saying, YES! IT'S A FREE COUNTRY AND IF YOU LOW HOLE ME I WILL BE FREE TO HOOK YOUR EAR!!!

I don't get it? This year seems the worst I've seen for guys (especially older guys who think the river is theirs and we all shouldn't be allowed to fish it, but I never see a one of them at any clean ups etc.) that seem to have no qualms with low holing you and then fence posting like it's salmon season!!! Watched two yesterday at the train bridge, they are there regularly, they sit and watch as everyone is moving through and then walk out and fence post, don't care if they just low holed you, don't care that everyone else has to reel in and walk around them...Thank god for one guy who just kept fishing and passed right in front of them..they didn't even say a word...they know they are doing it and just don't care!!!

I see so much crap about short floating etc. yet I see the some of the same guys constantly low hole and post!! What gives with this sheeit!!!
Aren't you an old guy? LOL Were you at RFT last night talking with Darryl? Think I saw you there, then the lights dimmed. Hmmmm? LOL I had a guy cut in below me today just before I got to the tail out of the run I was fishing, he had about 2 casts before I opened my mouth. He sure didnt like the rotational angling idea nor did he like the fishing ethics comment. But he sure listened to what I had to say about wading accidents on the river. >:D

·
Registered
218 Posts
Shane said:
xgolfman said:

Aren't you an old guy? LOL Were you at RFT last night talking with Darryl? Think I saw you there, then the lights dimmed. Hmmmm? LOL I had a guy cut in below me today just before I got to the tail out of the run I was fishing, he had about 2 casts before I opened my mouth. He sure didnt like the rotational angling idea nor did he like the fishing ethics comment. But he sure listened to what I had to say about wading accidents on the river. >:D
AH you bass turd, ;D Yeah I heard someone ask about me and referred to me as the "old guy on the river" sheeit, he was older then me too...Nope, is ASH blond, not grey... O0

·
Registered
218 Posts
fyrslyer said:
maybe some of these "old" guys have difficulty moving around the river? that is why they stand in one spot? Maybe they have been fishing longer then a lot of us and they realize thats what works for them? Or maybe they just feel like standing there they have every right to stand there just as anyone else has a right to reel in there line and then walk past them and cast it again once past! ::)
NO...I got no problem with an old guy who obviously can't move down...I find almost all of them very gracious and spend time talking to them every chance I get...I'm talking about the guys who will actually watch a run and see everyone is moving through and taking turns and then wait for the slightest gap and then walk in and post. They aren't there first. Hell if a guy gets to the run first he can fish where he chooses, If he knows what he's doing when steelheading he'll move...But coming in late and fuking up a run where guys are moving and taking turns..There is no acceptable reason for that!!! ::) ::)

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay time to let everyone know, the sign is real (only 1 sign with a pic taken at different places), but was being thrown away where I work so I had one of the sign guys add the NO FLOSSING and it now hanging in my fishing room. Don't worry it was not nailed to the tree in one photo. Thought it would be interesting to see what kind of responses would be posted after I posted the pics. Very happy to see there were no responses defending flossing, maybe anglers are becoming more aware.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.