BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After we get back from hunting I have the option of getting 200+ skeins of trout roe. These trout are raised in a pond by a guy in our hunting party, and we take all 300 or so of them (the trout) out every year. These trout are around 5-6 pounds or more, with very few smaller than that. I am thinking the eggs will be about the same size as salmon or Steelhead eggs.

My question is : Do you think these skeins would be ok for salmon or steelhead bait?

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
That's a good question. They may work just fine but legally I think they must remain in the lake
or area from which they came to lesson the spread of foreign disease.

Marko

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
marko said:
That's a good question. They may work just fine but legally I think they must remain in the lake
or area from which they came to lesson the spread of foreign disease.

Marko
They are from a pond in cloverdale.... The guy buys 500 every 2 years and raises them (feeds them pellest, etc) so I dont think disease will be a problem. Would be no diff than taking eggs from ocean fish or other rivers and using them in the Vedder I think. I guess I'll decide when I get a look at them. The reason I ask is because everyone always says "fresh (smaller) eggs, like fresh chum eggs work better than the eggs out of older fish getting ready to spawn." Another thing that came into my head is that Steelhead are basically just a big trout so why wouldn't normal trout eggs work ???

·
Banned
121 Posts
Ah roe madness, it sets in on every angler this time of year. All those jars or perfectly preserved procured berries we had in the fall have become a dwindling supply or worth their weight in gold. We go crazy for winter steel and burn roe like no tomorrow, then when the fall rolls around we see we only have three or four jars left and all begin to panic!

I wouldn't use pellet fed trout roe bra. If you're that hard up take some ziploc bags down to Keith Wilson bridge and ask the snaggers if you can have the roe from their boot looking mouldy chinooks. Just don't go over the 1kg limit.

·
Banned
935 Posts
wow ri4bo7 man the two post i have read from you have both has something negative to say you told me how to take a picture when i was trying to take quick one now your telling someone if therer hurting for roe to go beg at the vedder for it come on man before you start telling people how to do things post you fishing reports to

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think asking other anglers for roe is better than killing a fish for it. I for one don`t use roe so i give it away. When I fishing the other day someone offered me his roe from a fish he just caught. When people ask me for athe chum I`m releasing so they can take the roe. I say no.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
noxcape, It is illegal to transplant species from one lake to another. Roe from ocean run fish is another
matter.
I am no expert but when fish are in remote isolated locations, they can develop an immunity
to parasites from that area over a long period of time. Not sure how well parasites survive after the curing process but this is still part of a ferrel or nonnative species.

:beerchug: Marko

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First of all I am not hard up or desperate to use roe. In fact I would way rather use coloradoes or j-egg wool combos for Steelhead (I have never been a big fan of roe, but will use it if I have it). The reason I would take it is because these trout are going to get killed, no matter what. Every one gets to take 30 or so home (lots of smoked fish for me :happy: ) and I am aloud to take the roe if I want it.

I figure might as well try.... if it works out I just received probably around 30 pounds of free roe :happy: I could always use it for salmon, they'll bite any roe you throw to them :thumbup:

·
Banned
55 Posts
There is no law as to using fish parts from any one place in that place only.

I've used roe from Great Lakes Salmon in the Gold-left over from my guide's previous guests-with no problem it worked well despite it's odd yellow colour.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Every Day said:
First of all I am not hard up or desperate to use roe. In fact I would way rather use coloradoes or j-egg wool combos for Steelhead (I have never been a big fan of roe, but will use it if I have it). The reason I would take it is because these trout are going to get killed, no matter what. Every one gets to take 30 or so home (lots of smoked fish for me :happy: ) and I am aloud to take the roe if I want it.

I figure might as well try.... if it works out I just received probably around 30 pounds of free roe :happy: I could always use it for salmon, they'll bite any roe you throw to them :thumbup:
From the regs p 9- "you must not have more than 1 kg
of roe (fish eggs) in your possession for
use as bait unless the roe was obtained
from a commercial source that lawfully
obtained that roe, or you have in your
possession the freshly dressed fish from
which the roe in excess of 1 kg was
taken. Carry a receipt with you if you
purchased roe from a commercial source. "

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
professori said:
Every Day said:

From the regs p 9- "you must not have more than 1 kg
of roe (fish eggs) in your possession for
use as bait unless the roe was obtained
from a commercial source that lawfully
obtained that roe, or you have in your
possession the freshly dressed fish from
which the roe in excess of 1 kg was
taken. Carry a receipt with you if you
purchased roe from a commercial source. "
Now in your possession means on the flow? Or including roe at home?

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
When it comes to fish, I know it means"in your possession" where ever you are. As there is no mention of exceptions I believe it means anywhere.

·
Registered
209 Posts
professori said:
When it comes to fish, I know it means"in your possession" where ever you are. As there is no mention of exceptions I believe it means anywhere.
Of course if you look at the definitions on page 96:

possession quota … the number of fish of any
species that an angler may have in his/her
possession at any given time, EXCEPT at
place of ordinary residence (see above).
In most instances, the possession quota is
two times the daily quota.

I would expect that this definition would also apply to roe (yes, even if it only talks about fish, the spirit of the law is to define possession at any time, EXCEPT at the place of ordinary residence). So, Everyday, the roe shouldn't be a problem. And, page 9 :

Fin fish… the use of fin fish (dead or
alive) or parts of fin fish other than roe
is prohibited throughout the province,

So, using roe from one source to fish isn't illegal either.

As to the whole invasive species thing, it only talks about live fish species with respect to moving or possessing. And, if you're really worried about invasive species, then you need to ask yourself, how many times do you wash your waders and boots as per the suggestions on page 88 of the synopsis? You could be transporting some strange aquatic hitchhikers.

Trout roe will be pretty small though, IMO but should still work. You might seriously consider tying it into roe sacks instead though, after curing.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
OOOPs-I just reread the definitions and possession quota is the the number of fish you may have n your possession EXCEPT in your normal residence. My bet is the same for roe. My bad. :p

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Hey Everyday, i would guess that these trout being raised in a pond in a back yard will not have fully developed eggs, and if they do they will be singles already and will be very small in either case. the reason i say this is i too knew a guy in cloverdale with trout in his pond and decided to take the kids there for some action, with the stipulation of having to kill the fish we caught. when i cleaned these fish the females that had eggs where all singled. i,m not an expert by any means but have heard that once these fish mature their eggs are just left singled and eventually the fish will die as they have nowhere to reproduce. this is probably why your buddy wants them out every 2 years as they are going to die anyways. i guess what i am trying to say is, be carefull of what you are getting into, as you may find that all you get out of this is a bunch of undesirable pond trout and a wack of unusable singles(far too small to do anything with)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We have done this actually every year for the last 5 years that I have been out hunting with them (we always do it after our hunting trip). He actually takes all 300 out every 2 years and also takes around 100 out every odd year. The trout taste great and are not in spawning mode at all and everytime we have done it the skeins I have seen were in tact. Now I never use to use roe at all and don't remeber how smallt he eggs were. Like I said I'll just decide when we get there whether I want the roe or not, but I can't wait to get a bunch of trout for the smoker :happy:

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
if u do find that the roe is to loose or to small to fish boraxed, go buy urself 4 or 5 roe bag making machines, 5 or 6 packs of mesh and 3 rolls of thread, and get the whole family and friends crew involved, u should be done in a week or so :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.