BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now the the fall weather is slowly slipping away and the first icy blast of winter is just around the corner, I am interested to hear form the members as to what you would wear on a typically we/cold winter day on the coastal rivers? My gear starts with wool/polypro socks, thin fleece underwear top and bottom, then a wool workshirt and lightweight wool sweater, Apply the breathable waders and cover with my hooded rain jacket.
I also use fingerless, fleece gloves when it gets really cold.
Are there some products out there that everyone should be aware of??....Tricks of the trade? Let's hear from ya and find out what works best for the $$$.........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I dont have any fancy outer clothing for keeping warm other then my neos and my winter jacket. But last year I bought some under clothing from a company called 'Wind River', and I love it. It keeps you warm, its breathable, and its rain proof. I bought it specifically for fishing, but I loved it so much I use it for everything, even puts me to sleep. :thumbup: It gets so much use from me, I recommend buying one.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Merino wool socks, polar fleece pants (wicks moisture from the body), moisture wicking tee shirt, polar fleece sweatshirt, polar fleece jacket, breathable waders, and gore tex wading jacket. Gloves are an option but usually don't bother.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I have both neoprene and wool fingerless gloves. The wool will still insulate if it gets wet (unlike most other fabrics). I go with polar fleece socks, polar fleece long underwear from costco (wicks away moisture) with jeans over, polar fleece tee shirt, wool shirt, hooded sweater, breathable waders and gortex wading jacket. I also wear a light weight polar toque. That is for very cold weather and I have yet to be cold. I also carry a back pack with me so I can strip off layers if need be. It also carries my thermos of hot coffee (maybe some brandy in it), a bite of lunch and 3 or four reusable hand warmers (buy them at Lee Valley).

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I usually take along wool fingerless gloves and neoprene (also an extra pair of wool fingerless gloves just in case the 1st ones get wet). Pure wool socks, stanfields, longjohns, polar fleece pants or sweat pants, tshirt w/long sleeves, wool shirt with long sleeves, hooded sweat shirt, gortex jacket, breathable waders, hat or wool toque.

Depends where I'm fishing on whether I take a small backpack or gear/utility pouch. Don't eat or drink coffee on the water ........ don't want to undress and get cold when mother nature calls.

I may take along a couple of energy bars or hard candy for quick energy. Rather than Brandy I prefer Black Sambuca to keep me warm ........ a little antigel never hurt anyone. :thumbup:

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
695 Posts
professori said:
It also carries my thermos of hot coffee (maybe some brandy in it)
:thumbup: that will definitly warm you up

i wear fleece longjohns and longsleeve shirt under sweat pants with a fleece hoodie or sweatshirt my breathable rain jacket and breathable waders,as for the foot wear it's usally wool socks and thinsilate toque.

scruffy

·
Registered
249 Posts
Lots of layers for me covered by a rain proof jacket and or at least a windbreaker with fleece liner. A toque is a definate and wool, fingerless gloves with a flip-over mit cover. I just got a pair of Simms breathables, so under that I'll go with pair of longjohns and/or track pants.

I'm with professori - I dribble a bit of Fireball in my tea. Keeps me warn all over :beerchug:

LL

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Feet, 1pair of -40 rated thermal socks, always keeping my feet with lots of freedom to move, feet packing is the death knell.
Thermal underwear under sweat pants under Simms guide weights.

long sleeve T under Stanfield wool sweater, under fleece, with thin goretex top layer for wind breakage.

Tuke when it's anywhere near freezing, face tuke for -10 and below.

Fingerless gloves with heat packs in the palms(this one is good up to -20)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I wear woolies over my sport socks. Hot Chilli long jonhs under my Simms fleece pants, with Simms Classics breathables on top. The simms fleece pants were a great investment. Never been cold with them on, and have fished in some mighty cold weather. On top I wear a t shirt under a good thick hoody, and my Simms wading jacket over top. For my hands, I use a pair of Simms gloves, with the neoprene palm and fleece back. And to top it off, a good fleece toque. I've fished up to -18 C with this and have yet to get cold.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am a HUGE believer/advocate of "you get what you pay for" . Paying the long dollar for some quality long underwear will save you headaches and countless trips back to replace worn out gonch.
I use Oakley long underwear that I bought 7 years ago. I wear it for snowboarding as well as under my Simms breathables and Neos and still keeps me as warm as it did 7 yrs ago. Not a single loose thread or wear mark. Very thin, breathable and comfortable. Well worth the $100.00.
Other brands I have personally used that I believe to be comprable top shelf gonch.
North Face
Acrteryx
Hot Chillis

Most can be found at your local board shop.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I recently bought a "customized" tank-top for underneath all my gear. It does a really good job of holding everthing in and it also wicks moisture away from the skin. They're also great on a hot summer's day.

They're made by a well known name in "under wear" and while they're not SIMMS or other well know fishing brand, I think most of you will recognize the name.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Lund-lubber said:
I recently bought a "customized" tank-top for underneath all my gear. It does a really good job of holding everthing in and it also wicks moisture away from the skin. They're also great on a hot summer's day.

They're made by a well known name in "under wear" and while they're not SIMMS or other well know fishing brand, I think most of you will recognize the name.

Do the tank tops get looking like that when one pulls ones head out or when it goes in?? :happy: :happy:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.