BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i went out fishing with my brother and his friend but they got most of them on a troll. I did have a few bites but not as much as them so what could i use when fish are hitting trolls, a shinny fly?

· Registered
334 Posts
It all depends where you were fishing ie. what lake, where at that lake, where is the lake located etc. When you say "trolling" I assume you mean that your friends were trolling with wedding bands and other attractors. Trolling is the act of slowly "dragging" a lure (a fly, wedding bands etc) in the water at specific depths, (hopefully where the fish are!) I've caught trout on a micro leech while a buddy of mine had about 5 ft worth of spinners and wedding bands on his spincast, he caught nothing. That's not to say it can't happen the other way, which it has with me and him. If you want to fly fish you will need to find out what the fish are feeding on. What is in the lake to feed on? What time of year is it? Where in the lake are you fishing? All these things contribute. I hope you find this helpful and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Doug

· Registered
1,165 Posts
wooly buggers and leeches are always good as is the pumpkin head. doc spratley as well but the first 3 that I mentioned is what I always start with on a new lake.

· Registered
327 Posts
I'll usually also try muddlers. Either on top or down deep
The so called "searching" patterns that you find in tying manuals could be a good selection for trying.
The best have been mentioned already in this thread.

· Registered
578 Posts
I would think that if your brother and friend were getting fish on trolls, while you were not with a fly; it could be a depth issue. The other trick I would look at is color. In a situation like you explained I would try matching both color and flash, as close to what your brother was using. I have experienced days when persons were out fishing me by dragging flatfish and I was able to find success by matching color. EI Black & Silver Flatfish = Doc Spratley, Yellow and Red Spotted Flatfish = Yellow Carey or American Coachman, Silver Flatfish = Roller Muddler. It's not rocket science, but it does require and open and creative mind.

· Registered
3 Posts
Along the same vein as newsman. The trolling with gear may have been at too fast a speed to work for flies. Any of the suggested patterns can work if your speed and depth are appropriate for the pattern you wish to imitate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.