BC Fishing Reports banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Q:
I've been fly-fishing for like 14 years along with a group of buddies (many of whom have been at it for much longer) and we recently asked a pro to give us some tips on improving our technique. He met us one evening in a field in Vancouver and proceeded to cast a single handed 8wt. rod loaded with a matching 8 wt. line until he literally had the entire fly line in the air. And he did so effortlessly. And by the way, it wasn't his rod... he hadn't even brought a rod with him that evening... he did that with one of my friends' rods.
Was he using a double haul? Some good advice here:

What did he teach you to achieve greater distance?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Bear in mind as well, the deeper you wade to reach your quarry the shorter your casts will become. You lose about 10' of casting distance for every foot deeper your body is in the water. It is unbeatable physics caused by the lowering of your rod tip height from the water surface.
That's so true... and yet even though I have noticed that it doesn't help, I am guilty of wading deeper and trying to get a little closer to the fish and then my casting distance suffers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Was he using a double haul?

Yes, he was using a double haul.

And, the two key things he taught me to achieve greater distance were: first, I need to keep my rod tip high on the final forward stroke of my cast (he referenced the 10-to-2 arc and pointed-out that I was allowing my rod tip to come much too low on the final forward cast) and second, to reduce the number of false casts that I do, as he noted that they are really unnecessary.

Great video by the way.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Was he using a double haul? Some good advice here:

Great video. Thanks for sharing. I've been trying to explain how to do a double haul to my friends who have started fly fishing and I find it difficult to explain. This video provides a good explanation.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts