BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That one is getting close but the one I saw had light background with white bands. That one is the opposite. I looked up longhorn beetles as well. There is a ton of them. I wondered if he was blown out of the trees as it was just sitting on the surface, not emerging.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Terrestrials can be very important...did it seem like the fish were keying in on them...? Often when they key in on some kind of terrestrial that's getting blown down onto the lake, they won't touch anything else...

Had that very experience early this year on a lake near merritt with an ant hatch...they wouldn't take anything but. Unfortunately I didn't have any ant patterns that fit the bill...now I have several...lesson learned on my part...

That one looks like some kind of longhorn beatle BCkid...

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have to agree, looks like a longhorn beetle. There are a few different breeds around BC. Including the lighter coloured one you saw (assuming it is one.) I know this because these things are huge and look mean (especially when they are flying)but are harmless. My wife would freak out every time one came close so I researched it a little to make sure it was harmless.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It's called a Spotted Tree Borer. The larvae eat wood, but don't worry, they're a perfectly natural part of our ecosystem in this part of the world. People don't normally see the various types of borer beetles because they're normally high up in (or inside) the trees, but many of them are incredibly beatiful.

We also have Banded Alder Borers around here and they're even cooler looking. I got a great pic of one a few years ago. I'll dig it up and post it if I get a chance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.