BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Ambelside today, fishing by myself. It was a rather enjoyable day until the Port Authority boat decided to squeeze about 5 boats between itself and the port pillar bouy. Why would they cut their engines and drift with the tide right into fishing boats? I had to cut my engines and do some fancy driving to avoid a boat and their downriggers, then miss the Port Authority boat. I have to question the captain of that Harbour Patrol boat. How can a person responsible for safety do something so unsafe? WHAT A BONEHEAD!!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
How was the fishing? Did you see many caught??
The Port Auth. and Police are desperately trying to keep the shipping lane under the Lions gate and the approach totally clear of all traffic when frieghters or larger vessles navigate the passage. They will often push so to speak pleasure craft clear then issue warnings and possible fines? Lets all keep clear as to not face fishing closures, thats not to say that you were in the way or in the wrong. You should have asked the skipper what's up.
HT

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was no large traffic in the area. This took place about 100 feet off the port pillar bouy at the mouth of the capilano.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I think that the port authority sometimes does that when no traffic is around just to keep us honest. In the 90's they used to have a string of bouys to mark where you could fish and if you were outside of them they'd ticket you.
I once had the Naimo ferry enforce his right of way on us as we sailed from Silva Bay to Pender Harbour. Once we fell off he altured his course to make another boat do the same... keeping us honest I guess.
Have fun, Jason

1 - 4 of 4 Posts