BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just joined the forum and have learned lots of useful info, its great for someone trying to get info on fishing in BC. Thanks.

Anyway,
I was down at Cate's Park on the weekend but since im pretty knew to fishing, I have a tough time Iding fish. Does anyone know what this is?

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
ouch said:
Hi, just joined the forum and have learned lots of useful info, its great for someone trying to get info on fishing in BC. Thanks.

Anyway,
I was down at Cate's Park on the weekend but since im pretty knew to fishing, I have a tough time Iding fish. Does anyone know what this is?

Yes, cutty.

Ouch, I must point out to you, seeing as how you are looking for info...

When you are going to release fish you should keep them as close or in the water as possible...walking 20 feet up the beach there and taking that pic is a habit you probably don't want to get into...

Not only will you find it will piss people off, but it is not good for the fish...

As far as I know guys, don't all searun cutties have to be released on the chuck...? I don't have the regs handy here at the moment...can anyone confirm for me...?
I think it would be in everyones best interest if we made that clear here.

Thx,

Nice fish Ouch.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
ribwart said:

As far as I know guys, don't all searun cutties have to be released on the chuck...? I don't have the regs handy here at the moment...can anyone confirm for me...?
I think it would be in everyones best interest if we made that clear here.
Rib...this pertains to "trout" in the Saltwater/Tidal Regs. I hope I was on the correct section in the regs. ;)

For those who don't know....Cape Caution is North of Port Hardy on the Central Coast. Roughly 50 km's or so.

Trout includes steelhead, dolly varden, cutthroat trout, brown trout and bull
trout.

Cutthroat
This trout species has a large mouth that extends well past the eye, and teeth in the throat at the back of the tongue. They also have a lot of spots from front toback.

South of a line due west from Cape Caution:

wild trout: catch and release only
hatchery trout: 2, none of which may be less than 30 cm
North of a line due west from Cape Caution:

hatchery and wild trout: 2, only one of which may be greater than 50 cm. None may be less than 30 cm.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright thanks Rib, Ill keep that in mind...Normaly wouldnt do that but was fishing by myself and wanted a picture with it so I could ask someone what it was.

Could someone clarify what exactly "released on the chuck" means? Thanks

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
ouch said:
Could someone clarify what exactly "released on the chuck" means? Thanks
;D ;D

Ouch....."chuck" refers to "salt chuck" or "saltwater"....so what Rib in his "angling dialect of pig latin" is trying to say is "when you catch a searun cutthroat in saltwater/ocean it should be released". :peace:

Just basically saying in the salt vs. fresh water.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
ouch said:
Pippen thanks for the clarification on that term. :thumbup:
...and Ouch, thanks for the pic of that beauty cutty... :thumbup:

I have a couple questions for ya...

• Were you flyfishing, or gear fishing...?
  • also, were there many other anglers around while you were there...?

Thx,

rib

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just wondering what type of fish can be caught at Cates park, other than Pinks on the odd year. I went out there a few days ago and tried some jigging. Got a few soft bites, but got no fish. Would be kind of interesting to know what was nibbling away. Not sure if it's worth going again. Cheers all!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nice o.clarki indeed.

I am intrigued by the spotting. You say you caught it at Cate's Park this week? The heavy spotting looks like cutts I've caught in weedy, dark freshwater or a post-spawn fish, not one from the chuck in early Sept.Interesting...

Following are two cutts that I caught earlier in August. The top one was a small wild that was released; the bottom is a >30 cm hatch that was not. Notice the differences in spotting from yours, especially on flank below the lateral line.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
have a couple questions for ya...

* Were you flyfishing, or gear fishing...?
* also, were there many other anglers around while you were there...?
I was using a small buzz bomb around 15 minutes after morning high tide. And ya there was a couple people who started fishing as I was leaving.

I wasnt expecting to catch anything but right after the tide peaked, I saw a few fish jumping around me...the first one jumped a meter away from me at my side and and made me jump a little too haha.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Clarki, ya it was at cate's park last weekend. that is pretty interesting. The cutthoat at cates looks much closer to your first picture...Did u say u caught that in freshwater, post spawn? or was that the bottom one?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry, guess I wasn't clear. Both fish were caught in saltwater. My point was that the fish you caught has the apperance of being from fresh water, or post spawn, given its heavy spotting which is quite unlike the spotting of the other 2 fish also caught in saltwater.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
ouch said:
have a couple questions for ya...

* Were you flyfishing, or gear fishing...?
* also, were there many other anglers around while you were there...?
I was using a small buzz bomb around 15 minutes after morning high tide. And ya there was a couple people who started fishing as I was leaving.

I wasnt expecting to catch anything but right after the tide peaked, I saw a few fish jumping around me...the first one jumped a meter away from me at my side and and made me jump a little too haha.
Thanks O...

If you ever get the chance, try targeting them with a fly rod...they readily take a fly, and the lighter gear makes it a lot more fun...

Beauty fish guys...

You might see me on the beaches at some point, if you do, come by and say hi...

:cheers:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.