BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to buy a new fly rod in the next few weeks for the new season.
I mainly troll wet flies from my boat so a rod with sinking line is what I need.
I just started fly fishing last year and I love it. Havent touched my spincaster since.
Can you guys please help me out with some recommendations for a new flyrod/reel/line.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
As you are a newer fly fisher, I would recommend you head out to your local shop and try a few different rods to see what you are comfortable casting. The rod you choose will be able to handle a floating, a sinking or a sink tip line, so the type of line you are using will not affect the choice of rod. The reael on a fly rod is, again not a critical part of the system (at least in a trout rod), as it is really used more as line storage, rather than a control system. A good all-round set up would be a 9 to 10 foot 6 weight rod with a weight forward floating line and a full sink (I like a type 6) line. Dragonfly makes a good reel that comes with 2 cartridges, allowing easy changes from one type of line to another. The choice of rods is wide open with good rods to found for as little as $100-125 and going up well above $500. Check through the threads in this forum http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forum/index.php?board=13.0 There are several topics discussing various rods and reels.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I know I'm probably going to catch some flack for saying this, but check Canadian Tire. They have a Berkley 7wt rod & reel combo for $49.99. The reel is a disc drag and the rod actually feels quite nice with good action.

Since you're a beginner (just like me) I don't think we need to spend $150 on a rod to enjoy the sport. I'm having a blast with my $49.99 WalMart special and actually caught 3 rainbows over 14" today. They all went free.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Not starting anything here. Glad you found a rod for $50 that you like, Warrior. I think, however at that price, the rods are very much hit and miss. You might get one that has the guides all lined up along the sline of the rod and casting OK, but you are just as likely to find them 90° of and almost impossible to cast. Especially if you are just learning, I think you need a cstable rod to learn and to learn in an enjoyable, non-frustrating fashion. Dragonfly rods have a pretty good reputation of around $95. I don't disagree with you that there are cheaper ones out there, but the quality, as I said, is a real crap shoot.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Well said, and no worries :beerchug:

I've seen and touched the more expensive rods in the local shop and have to agree that they are very nice, and probably do cast a heck of a lot better than my WalMart special. As BC said, the majority of his fishing is done trolling a wet fly, so casting really doesn't play that much into his decision; however should he decide to go dry I would also recommend he spend a bit more than $50 on his rod.

BTW, that $49.99 WalMart special I'm using...included the reel, LOL.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
11th Warrior said:
Well said, and no worries :beerchug:

I've seen and touched the more expensive rods in the local shop and have to agree that they are very nice, and probably do cast a heck of a lot better than my WalMart special. As BC said, the majority of his fishing is done trolling a wet fly, so casting really doesn't play that much into his decision; however should he decide to go dry I would also recommend he spend a bit more than $50 on his rod.

BTW, that $49.99 WalMart special I'm using...included the reel, LOL.
:beerchug: Best kinda deal.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
your "Walmart Special" sounds exactly like my first fly rod :thumbup: I still have it :happy: since then i have bought probably one to many fly rods but i love to fly fish :thumbup: I myself own a Dragonfly 9' 8wt for salmon. Great rod handles even the big boys decently :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
As you are a newer fly fisher, I would recommend you head out to your local shop and try a few different rods to see what you are comfortable casting.
Great advise Proff. :cheers:

BCFisher, in the end if the WalMart package does not suit your needs well enough, then Proffs suggestion would be the best way to go. Everyone has different preferences in what they like in a rod, and a good option to help you make a sound decision is to have a go with a few of them at your local shop. There's a wide selection out there. Many different brand names in price ranges to match everyone's indiviual budjet. Let us know how you make out. :cheers:

Finder ;)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips fellas!
I actually have a flyrod/reel/line combo that I bought from Bob's in bby 2 years ago. It cost me $80 and is my favorite rod to fish with. I have caught more fish on that rod in two years than I have in my entire life. Really, before trying flyfishing I would go out with my spincasters and get snubed 4 outta 5 times out on the water. Spincasters do have there use at times but nothing beats my flyrod now.

So I still have this $80 Bob's special and it works great. Problem is its getting a little beat up and worn out so I would like to spoile myself just a little and pick up a new one for around and up to $300.
I will go to the LFS and talk with the guys there to see what they have also but its great to hear your experiences too.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
take a look at either the ECHO rods or the SCOTT rods great rods and good price ranges. my echo 14' 9/10wt was only $300 my dads 10'8wt was $175 see where im going with this :beerchug: the scott's are a little pricier but they are just a bit better (for their lower end rods)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
If $300 is your cap, you'll have a plethora (big word of the day) of rods to choose from. Personally if I had $300 to spend I would be very tempted to purchase two rods; a 3-4wt and another (better) 6wt, or possibly an 8wt. I would try a variety of brands though, as some cast faster than others and you have to make the right choice for yourself if you're spending that kind of money.

Scott and Sage are the two I'm leaning towards for my next rod and as a beginner, I really liked the action on the Scott A2 9'0" 6wt. It was quick enough that I didn't feel the rod was leading me, but it was still within my capabilities.

I'm glad you like your $80 combo!! I'm very much the same as you...take the spinning gear out, toss it around and get skunked, but for some reason the fly rod has done me quite well. I even got a spare reel from WalMart for free, (long story but the reel had a broken handle which took me 5 minutes to fix) which I've lined with WF6ST and used yesterday for the first time with much success.

For some reason our first fly rod holds great memories :beerchug:

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
Scott rods are all medium action rods im sure where as most Sage rods are med/fast action rods. /i believe the Echo rods are also med/fast action. if your going with a lighter rod i myself have found the medium action to be a better choice ;D

·
Registered
224 Posts
If your just trolling a wet fly dont spend the money. Get a dragonfly rod and match it up with a reel thats inexpensive. The reel will just be a line holder anyways. If you are going to get into casting for fish thats when you want to spend more money on a rod. Thats also when you go into a shop test them out. Find a rod that suits your casting style whether it be a fast slow or moderate rod. Everyone is different.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.