• steelhead

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to the whole curing thing so i was wondering what kind of roe you guys use and for what fish.

p

·
Registered
332 Posts
I agree with FOH, chum or spring roe preferably. Springs are piggies though, they will eat most roe they see. Just find water where they stack up(look for surface activity). From my experiences springs aren't normally very stealthy, they make themselves apparent. Majority of my roe is from coho, I normally only target a couple springs a season. Good luck!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Chum for Sturgeon, and bar fishing for Coho. Have done well with Pink roe , on the odd years on the Vedder for Springs .

·
Registered
139 Posts
Chum, spring, coho, whatever I got at the time. Coho roe generally has a nice natural color to it, but the eggs are small. Chum roe has a nice color as well and the eggs are quite large.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Chinook roe.
Cut in small pieces.
Lot of borax.
No dyes or commercial preparations.
Freeze in ziplock bags.

But when available the best for steelhead is steelhead row.
Same preparation.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Chum, Spring & Coho, all work and I only have 29 lbs. ready for this season:thumbup:! I freeze it in double ziplocks and borax when thawed, orange kool aid before freezing to make it look bright.

****Note, poll really could use a any of the above choice****

·
Registered
372 Posts
If one would be specificly targeting coho what roe would you use?
I would prefer nice tight and not yet fully developed chum roe. The kind of roe you get from a nice fresh fish that's still got some time to go before it spawns. And if you want to get very specific about it, the roe from a chrome November chum from the mouth of the Harrison. They brine up so nice and milk out forever... and on top of all that the meat on them is fantastic too. Damn I wish it was October on the coast and I was out there to enjoy it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I agree with most. We use chum for first choice an spring as second. Haven't used any coho so I can't comment, but sockeye and pinks don't seem to work nearly as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts