BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So was wondering what size and type of hook do you guys and gals tend to use,i myself use 3 different sizes pending on what i'm targeting...size 4 for all salmon except when those whites or chum are around then i use a size 2 and the only other time i use a slightly bigger hook is during steelie season and i switch over to a size 1 only cause i use a bit larger bait at times...as for hook choice i used many and i perfer the barbed gami's usually in red.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
I know why he uses barbed ones. If you have ever seen Gammy hooks for some reason the barbless ones have a larger gap but the hook point itself is shorter therefore making it easier for fish to get off :confused: so buying barbed ones they look just like every other hook (except DNE of course) I myself dont mind the barbless ones as they are thinner and stick to anything they touch. they are also better for fishing roe with the wider gap :peace:

I use size 4's when fishing for all salmon/steelhead unless im straightening out to many on springs which happens. or if im fishing roe or worms (for steelies) then i use a size 1 gammy barbless

· Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HOOK said:
I know why he uses barbed ones. If you have ever seen Gammy hooks for some reason the barbless ones have a larger gap but the hook point itself is shorter therefore making it easier for fish to get off :confused: so buying barbed ones they look just like every other hook (except DNE of course) I myself dont mind the barbless ones as they are thinner and stick to anything they touch. they are also better for fishing roe with the wider gap :peace:

I use size 4's when fishing for all salmon/steelhead unless im straightening out to many on springs which happens. or if im fishing roe or worms (for steelies) then i use a size 1 gammy barbless
i use the barbed cause like Hook said the barbless are a bit wider for my liking

· Registered
876 Posts
I fish size 2 for all species of fish and never change :happy: Sometimes it's a little hard to get that big chunck of roe or prawn ont he hook though :confused:

· Registered
917 Posts
Barbless gammies are more "circle" shaped than the barbed counterparts. I heard that this "circle" shape helps keep the hook on the fish. One advantage of using a crimped hook is that the crimp leaves a little "bump" that may be a slight advantage. Who knows? All I know is that if you let the line go slack, you're likely going to lose the fish. As for sizes, I like 2s and 4s - depending on the water conditions, etc.

As for flies, the gammies are my number one choice for tying stinger flies. I like a #2 for my squamish chum stinger. For those who would like a sample of a chum stinger - you'll have to join me on the squish on October! ;) OK FF, rib and ortho?

· Registered
883 Posts
Owner hooks :thumbup: I use different sizes based on the type of angling at the time. I also change the size of hook as the water conditions change throughout the day... :cheers: sage

· Registered
1,519 Posts
1/0's for springs and coho's and Thompson steel and size 1's for everything else!

I find the 1/0's just big and stong enough for springs but still not too big if a coho wants to go a round! :thumbup:

Hotrod

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.