BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From last season I went home empty handed fishing scale because my knots all slipped (Knot #1). It was raining and the sun went down and I had to go back soaking and nearly blind with nothing. So I ended up using a different knot with a better success after that (trilene). Thought I would post a few pictures and ask what knot do you use? I am set on using #6 and 7 for now but mostly will be using #7 for the river.

These pics I got from the fishing knot bible (harry nilsson)

#1 Sliding bait knot (Slipped?)
2011-08-23 10.31.45.jpg

#2 Trilene

trilene_knot_step2_380.gif

#3 Salmon hook knot

2011-08-23 10.26.34.jpg

#4 Miller knot

2011-08-23 10.33.28.jpg

#5 Clinch knot on a hook shank

2011-08-23 10.28.00.jpg

#6 Palomar

2011-08-23 10.27.37.jpg

#7 Snell knot (http://netknots.com/html/snell_traditional.html)
Snell2.gif
http://netknots.com/html/snell_traditional.html
#8 San diego jam (http://netknots.com/html/san_diego_jam_knot.html)

sandiego.jpg

·
Registered
77 Posts
First of all, the site you are getting those images from isn't so great. Here's a better option..

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

I
use the Trilene knot or improved clinch for all my terminal tackle.

I use the Arbor knot for tying my main line to my spool.

I use a Egg loop to tie onto a hook with roe or bait. (http://www.riptheirlipsoff.com/baitloop.html)

For fly fishing there are also a multitude of different knots. Check out the first site I posted, it is very clear and tells you what each knot is best for!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the egg loop looks like a good main stay knot. very similar to the snell but fair better for holding yarn and clusters. Seems to me that its harder to get away with a regular clinch knot because its harder to play a fish on the river. I tug hard to prevent tangle ups with other lines

·
Registered
281 Posts
I use the Palomar knot whenever possible. My sturgeon line, salt water line, etc. all see this knot used. It's easy to tie and has pretty much 100% breaking strength.

If I can't use the Palomar I'll either use the improved cinch for flouro or the Trilene knot for mono. For wet flies I'll use the loop knot.

One thing to consider when it comes to knots, especially when using flouro, is to make sure the knot is very wet and cinch it slowly. Flouro has a lower melting temp than mono and you need to baby it a bit or else you'll be busting off more often.

Find a couple knots that work in most situations, practice them and stick with them. A well tied "easier" knot will outperform a poorly tied/cinched "better" knot. Not to mention the ease of tying a familiar knot in less than ideal conditions (ie: Low light, cold/wet fingers, etc).

Tim...tie, wet, cinch, clip...

·
Registered
354 Posts
For tying swivels/lures an improved clinch...for hooks/bait loop mine is a combo of 1 and 3 where the standing line is passed down thru the eye/form a loop at the bend/wrap tag end up the shank 7-9 wraps and pass the tag end thru the loop ,wet and tighten...

·
Registered
69 Posts
For tying swivels/lures an improved clinch
Same with me. I had them slip on a colorado blade because I was careless/rushed and didn't tighten it properly.

And I use the egg loop as well. That one has never slipped for me.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
I can't say I have had a standard clinch(not even the improved) knot ever slip on me and it barely takes a second to tie

·
Registered
117 Posts
If I list by frequency :

1. Palomar
2. improved clinch
3. San Diego / perfection

I tend to rely on:

1. San Diego / Palomar
2. improved clinch (I usually add a bead for added knot protection)
3. perfection

·
Registered
60 Posts
Palomar for braid; improved clinch for mono. :)

Actually, as odd as it sound, i've even had success using a bowline in the braid for making a loop (I tried it for fun). I don't think it should work, but on teh spectra i have, it seems to. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Improved clinch seems to be ideal for mono and using the trilene or mahseer (they are the same?)for smaller size line. Although sometimes i dont tie it properly maybe im doing it backwards? How are loop knots on swivels? I guess the advantage would be its quicker to change your leader. Are their any other reasons to use a loop for leader to swivel? I have finally perfected using the baitloop and snell and prefer them over the knotless knot only because that one leaves part of the line exposed on the wraps. Anyone else use the knotless knot for the river?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Prodjsaig: The knotles will not fail on you and you don't need to be worrying about exposed line lol. ALL of your line is exposed.

If you use mono hooklinks/ tippets/ leaders: One thing the knotless knot does that other knots don't (except the spade end knot), is turn the hook in, making the gape of the hook wider. This aids in hooking ability by making you hook seem bigger than it actually is. 30+ million anglers in Europe can't be wrong!

The only time I wont use knotless is when the line is to large a diameter to keep the wraps tight.

How are loop knots on swivels? I guess the advantage would be its quicker to change your leader. Are there any other reasons to use a loop for leader to swivel?
They are fine. Just depends on what you are tying them in. I have found that fluorocarbons need lots of moisture and very careful tightening down otherwise you'll have a weak point at that knot, more so than if you are using braid or mono. Loops do make changing hooklinks faster. I also use a kwik link. Not those horrid snap link things I keep seeing about lol. I use these:

SANY2834.jpg

I brought about 100 of these with me and use them in conjunction with a tulip bead. Keeps my leader nice and straight of the swivel and easy to change.

Although sometimes I don't tie it properly maybe I'm doing it backwards
If you are about for some fishing one day, I can show you how to tie then correctly and I'll give you a few of those kwick links ;)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Trilene (improved clinch?) for pretty much everything. Easy knot to tie and apparently it has the highest knot strength of all knots (90%+?). It slipped on me with my first spring, but I don't think I tied that one properly, and cut the loose end really short.

One suggestion I received was to tie a "regular" knot with the loose end, which helps prevent slipping. I've been doing that lately, as it seems like a good idea.

·
Retired Administrator
4,448 Posts
The type of knot you use really depends on the type of line you're using and what type of fishing you're doing. For those of you flossing with braid, and you are using braid straight to the hook without a mono leader (which you don't need for this fishery) use a double cinch knot or Palomar.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts