BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the most common/appropiate CP rod for the majority of rivers and tributaries in the lower mainland? I really like to fish 13' and over when I was fishing the Trent and Severn in the UK but for some reason i only see local CP fisher's with and 10.5 to 11.5 rods. I know some of the streams are relatively small but the longer rod certainly gets more line off the water (especially when your a short arse like me) but most of the G.loomis rods I'm looking at may be a bit light i.e. 4-8lbs or 6-12lbs which could be a little weak if a spring is hooked. I'm still new at this aspect of fishing so any advice would be appreciated from the experts out there... :cheers:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
10 and a half feet is certainly a good length. But i've been told that 10.5' to 14' is a reasonable length. It's all about preference. Look around, consider a custom rod if you don't see what your looking for.

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Depends on the size of the stream and your presentation and how comfortable you are casting a pin in the wind with a bank of trees behind you. I would say an 11 or 12 footer would be suitable for most situations. I want to try a pin on an 8 weight 9 foot bamboo fly rod for steelies in the Stamp this year.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've got a 13' St Croix 7/8 spey rod built into a pin rod and a 13'6" 8/9 weight Beulah blank built into a pin rod. Love 'em both. Also have a 10'6" TFO 3106 rod. The only drawback to fishing a long rod is landing a fish in a small space. You will need a second person to help you. Otherwise, it's a blast! :beerchug:

·
Registered
419 Posts
The G-Loomis 6-12 10.6 ' is perfect. I just bought one and no problem with the odd huge chum taking my roe while coho fishing. Just takes a little longer to play them out. And a gentler touch I'm sure a springer would be a blast on it. :thumbup:

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
i have a TFO 3113 CP rod and it has landed 45lb brutes ;D and still plenty soft enough for smaller fish and extremely small bites ;D hook alot of my fish before they even take the float under ;D ;D

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I have on order a nice 11'3 Lamiglas CP rod...looks rugged, and cannot wait to pair it with one of those new slate steelheader reels from Islander 8) for the boxing day derby I hope :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I started on a 10'6", found it a little short. It was hard to keep the line out of the water on those longer drifts and doesn't quite cast as far. I now use a Trophy Royal 11'3" and am quite happy with it. Better casting, more control (cast and line) and better action to the fish. I have plans for a Loop C/P rod in the future that will probably end up being 12-13ft.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Steelie Trav said:
I now use a Trophy Royal 11'3" and am quite happy with it. Better casting, more control (cast and line) and better action to the fish.
I just researched this company and found they are local in Burnaby. What is the general quality of the rods/reels as I see they also sell a nice looking CP reel as well. Would this be a good setup which would last a while before an upgrade was needed? Are there rods sensitive enough i.e. like a sage or loomis?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
barbelface said:
Steelie Trav said:
I now use a Trophy Royal 11'3" and am quite happy with it. Better casting, more control (cast and line) and better action to the fish.
I just researched this company and found they are local in Burnaby. What is the general quality of the rods/reels as I see they also sell a nice looking CP reel as well. Would this be a good setup which would last a while before an upgrade was needed? Are there rods sensitive enough i.e. like a sage or loomis?

Thanks
rln is the the one you want to talk to.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
barbelface said:
Thats the moniker he uses on this and a few other forums. He is the rep for Redl sports, the distributor of Trophy gear. He won't be able to sell you anything, but he can probably provide the info you are looking for. and the nearest shop location taht you could purchase from.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
For the pin, I greatly prefer a slightly longer rod. Current Go-To is a Custom Rogue, 12.4 feet in length. Butt end is their standard 12' drifter, tip is an 8 weight saltwater (medium heavy) fly rod tip. Makes for extremely good sensitivity, with sufficient backbone to work the Biggies out of the faster flows.

Gary Loomis' nephew moved over to Rogue not so long ago, and revamped pretty well their entire line. Now they rank right up there with Loomis and Sage, without quite the outlay of major coinage.

Cheers,
Nog

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.