BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me any tips on fishing anchovies .
How longh of leader?
Any holders more of a standard than others?
Whould you troll the same speed as a hootchie or ?

Im going to have to learn how to fish with them and any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Usually five or more feet... I just use the length they are sold with. I like the Rhys Davis ones, however, that's more of a made in Canada preferance. I like to troll at the speed where my gear just spins.
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you're fish'in and not catch'in, go up to 8' leader and keep your rigger cable at 45 degrees or less. Count the lunkers and kiss me later!

Johnny.

ps. If you're in a mess of boats and no nets are out, leave. One hot hull screws it all up. It's amazing what electrolosis will do.

cheers,

juanito.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I was running 4 lines today, 2 with flashers on the line, 1 with a dummy flasher, and 1 without. The one that got the fish was the line with no flasher. Leader length is not an issue then, only the amount of setback from the clip.

·
Registered
464 Posts
firstlight said:
Never knew you could fish them without the flasher.
Just the usual length from the rigger clip or?
Thanks for the info so far.
Canso ,looks like youve really got those teasers dialed in. :thumbup:
Ya, usual length from the rigger clips, 15ft - 20ft. Sometimes , if it is really rough I will lengthen to 30 or more ft. To go that long you don't want to be in a crowd or heavy current, or you will have problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Never shorter than 5ft. Closer the fish to the spawning river I lenthen. If other boats are taking fish and you aren't-lenthen your leader. I usually start at 6 ft and could wind up with ten. When I put the anchovy in the water -I watch the roll-it should be a nice even sort of lazy roll-not frantic. Never just throw the anchovy in-be real finicky on the hook-up and rate of roll. Don't put it down if it isn't right and check it on any bump or after 10 min. with no action.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Run it 8' behind a flasher, easiest are the anchovie rigs that have the little tabs on them that provide the spin (on these keep your bait perfectly straight and let the tabs provided create the spin). Get out about 16 - 22' behind your down rigger and then troll between 2.0 and 2.4 for best results........ GOODLUCK!!!

GOFISH

·
Registered
249 Posts
I use 15lb balls...and i agree with the 45 degree angle theory...problem is sometimes the currents are running so strong you can't do that....if the water is not running smooth i usually find 1.8-2.2 mph on gps will get me the angle that i like...depends too on whether your using stainless or braided rigger lines....for length of leader to make it easy i usually just go arm to arm so about 6 ft...but 8 ft won't hurt you either...some guys will adjust their leaders depending on how murky the water is as well...if you find you are catching those bloodsucking dog fish pick up the speed a bit...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.