BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading over to Barkley sound Sept 5th for a week and need to pick up a couple of downrigger rods...
I have a few Abu 7000 Big Games that I have used in the salt before guite nicely but now need a couple of downrigger rods....
What is a decent realtively inexpensive way to go???
We will be mooring and staying at Kildonan Cannery Lodge and staying in fairly protected waters...Most of the fishing is 35 to 40 feet ...
Thanks for any input..

·
Registered
770 Posts
abbyfireguy said:
Heading over to Barkley sound Sept 5th for a week and need to pick up a couple of downrigger rods...
I have a few Abu 7000 Big Games that I have used in the salt before guite nicely but now need a couple of downrigger rods....
What is a decent realtively inexpensive way to go???
We will be mooring and staying at Kildonan Cannery Lodge and staying in fairly protected waters...Most of the fishing is 35 to 40 feet ...
Thanks for any input..
Go to Walmart and buy the Cheapo 10 foot 6 inch Mooching Rods ($50). Get some cheapo $50 single action reels like Daiwa M1s or something like that. You'll love a big fish on these rods.

If you want something that will last a bit longer, then go with some Shimano rods and Shimano Reels.

Personally, I don't like downrigger rods, I find them too short, and I love the control that a longer rod gives you and the feel as well.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Good advice FM and exactly what I did last year. I may get another season out of the "Denso-Lite" specials :p that I got but the Cheap Shimano single action reels are still intact. Well one of them is, the other took an unfortunate spill when my inexpereinced buddy tried to slow down a spring run by jamming his fingers into the handles and broke BOTH of them off (the handles). Now he knows why they call them Knuckle busters :naughty:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cheap downrigger rods can be picked up for $50-$75. They will serve you well for the most part and can double as a bottom fishing rod if you also target that. Most people are using lighter, longer rods on their downriggers now but they do cost more. There is a limit to how much my wife will let me spend on the sport. As for the reels....don't go cheap (at least not new and cheap). I bought an ugly stick/shimano combo 2 years ago. The rod is still good but the reel is crap. Gear issues, cheap handles etc. I can't afford $300 reels on my downrigger rod so I use Peetz. 1 of them I have had since I was 5 and and I am 33 now. You can pick them up used for about $50 if you look hard enough. The 5" ones work well. They are durable and the larger drum allows you to reel in fast. Just make sure the drum isn't warped and wrap the drum with bicycle tubing before you add line.

tight lines,
Brian

·
Registered
76 Posts
if you decide to get a cheaper daiwa reel i'd stick to the regular m-1 as opposed to the m-1 plus. I' ve had a few problems with the drag on the plus models bud the regular models have been good for the last couple years with no problems. army and navy has a decent combo for $120.00. m-1 reel with medium action rod thats worked well on my downrigger

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I happen to have a M1 in my collection with a medium moochng rod(just looked through the cupboard)..
I also have two new mint Petz reels I may put into action...
Thanks for the advice,I'll round up another medium mooching rod or two and be set...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Abby,
if you take the Peetz, the larger one can work as a trailer winch should you have a problem back at the ramp. Ha ha
The old boys from the Duncan area love them. They will work for ya, just don't look for a nice balance. I'm actually looking for a 5" for one of my kids to hand them down with a small collection I have.

·
Registered
35 Posts
high tide,

ha ha :happy:
one day you will realize the power of the Peetz :thumbup:

abby,
where did you get those mint reels? use the 5" for sure. you get a few looks for sure from the rich kids but you'll get a lot of respect form the old salts.

all kidding aside they are what they are sure there is a lot nicer product on the market but for a downrigger rod that may go into play for lings or rockfish now and again I can't imagine a more durable and trustworthy reel.

Brian :cheers:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use a moderate cost 10 foot mooching rod. I agree with the other guy who said the "downrigger" rods are too short. The longer and lighter action rod gives a lot more fun when you get a big fish and at least a little sport on the smaller ones and the coho.

When I need two rods, I use my steelhead drift rod, it works just as good.

Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.