BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading to the Chilli/Vedder this weekend and will likely hit all my fav. spots in pursuit of the elusive red springs that have been known to haunt the river this time of the year. The earliest I have caught anything of size was July 10th, so I am cautiously optimistic on my results.
I am one of the guys that has been getting pretty upset over the past few years when I came accross snaggers & flossers on this system, :pissed: so I am going prepared this time.....I am taking a camera, a notebook, cell phone,literature and no attitude... ;)....just a few questions..........Should I....

Observe, Record & Report to fisheries?
Film, Record, Report & submit film to fisheries?
Talk to the fishers, ask them why they think this method should be acceptable?
Quietly observe from a distance,Call fisheries and wait for them to arrive?
Jump in right beside them and short float til I catch their line? ;D
Other suggestions?

I am not too keen on conflict but many of these fish will soon be wearing body jewellry, get infections and likely die prior to spawning, or just die shortly after being hauled up on the beach after a long fight at the end of a rod that is not powerful enough to safely land them.

What's a guy to do? Maybe fire a few large rocks into the channel? Bring along a bunch of pre schoolers that want the fish to live and let them plead with the ignorant as------Leave a card on the windshield letting them know they have been placed on "Candid Camera"?

I will be wearing the fisheries jacket on the weekend.............Ortho 8)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I bring bear spray for the bears but it is there in plain few for them to see( hangs by my bait box) just incase there is an altercation. But usually my size scares them off :happy:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Bottom bouncing (flossing) isnt illegal so not much you can do.... Only time you could do anything is if you see them "jigging" their rods every few seconds, then I would take a quick video to prove that you saw this. I would just short float and if you catch a spring, most of them will probably switch over to short floating. I`m a pretty firm beleiver that most of these guys dont even know what they are doing wrong, or for that fact, know any other methods of fishing. I was like this around 4 years ago on the Vedder, and people only swore at me and thretened me at 12 years old!!!! I had no idea what I was doing wrong, that was the only way I had been shown (and knew) how to fish was bottom bouncing from a few outings on the Farser with my step-dad. If people actually took the time to explain stuff or even just ask them why they dont float fish politely, I beleive there would be a lot less arguments, and a lot less people snagging. I know when I was at this stage (just starting to fish) I was open to anything that would help me, and people swearing and yelling at me only got me pissed off and more drawn to this method until someone showed me otherwise. Try to be polite instead of causing trouble IMO.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Flyguy your a big dude LOL !!! Cant wait to go fihsing again on saturday with you LOL !!!! As for the bear spray i carry it as well - Its for the bears and..............

Gotta be carefull out there when you confront someone from doing something. There is allot of wackos out there this time of year, Long time ago on the vedder i got into an altercation with some guy that was drunk ripping his line everytime his weight hit the ground, I told him a few times NICELY that what he was doing was the wrong way about catching fish, and asked him to fish properly and i would help him setup his gear properly. Next thing i know i had a knife at my throat... luckly a few guys were yelling at this drunk ass to calm down and all was settled without any injuries.

Robert becarefull when you confront someone, I know from experience and it can do some good and some bad !!! you never know who your [email protected]$ken with out there.

That is also one of the reasons why allot of people wont confront anyone about what there doing wrong, cause there affraid of the outcome that could happen, not allot of people are looking for an argument, just looking for a fun day of fishing stress free.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I agree with Fish Freak, let the fish cops do the confronting. Too much to loose. They have the training and equipment (heat) to deal with the wackos.

Reminds me of a funny trip to the Ranger Run years ago, back when it was still there and in full affect. A guy was catching sockeye and parading around with them all over the place and showing them off prior to release. I suggested that fish to be released should stay in the water as much as possible. He flipped out and called me a bunch of names, I was sure a fight was about to ensue.

Instead the fellow stripped down to his underwear and jumped into the side channel where he proceded to bathe with soap and shampoo. After a good long bath the fellow came up to me and appologised for loosing it on me, he said his blood sugar was low and he needed a bath!

I have no idea what that has to do with this topic but it guess it just goes to show you there are alot of wierd dudes on our local flow.

·
Registered
840 Posts
it just cost me 14,000$ for a criminal lawyer. never been in trouble with the law, but I shoulda just minded my own buisness. long story short I seen my nieghbour in a very heated argument, I went out to stop it( with no attidude) and this guy says a few words to me and just punches me (he didd'nt know I was a boxer for many years) so because the police came I was the only one standing , even with many people siding with me I was arrested.

so I just would make a call, and take some notes. just not worth it to say something to someone who is ignorant. :2cents:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Pat AV said:
Instead the fellow stripped down to his underwear and jumped into the side channel where he proceded to bathe with soap and shampoo. After a good long bath the fellow came up to me and appologosed for loosing it on me, he said his blood sugar was low and he needed a bath!
:eek: ;D

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, you see, I am not the slightest bit interested in any type of confrontation, but you guys have given me some interesting ideas. Pat AV ...your story is too funny....You know, we are always complaining about rafters,tubers, and kyackers, and yes, 'tooners....so....maybe I outta strip to my unders (that, alone, should send 'em packin') :eek: and then walk up to the flat rock at the top of the limit hole and jump in!!...I'm an ol' whitewater nut and have spent a good part of my life in the water, so maybe I should just do a body drift!!!.........course those hooks could sting a bit......LOL ;D
Think I will pack the vid cam and see what happens.......Oh, by the way, the jacket is an excellent replica.....I would never try to pass myself off as a CO....but the jacketr at 30 feet is a bit intimidating...........Hey 'Salt How was the Oregon trip??........Good to hear from you on the board....Heading north this year??............Ortho 8)

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have no idea what that has to do with this topic but it guess it just goes to show you there are alot of wierd dudes on our local flow.
At least this one didn't stink! :beerchug:

maybe I should just do a body drift!!!.........course those hooks could sting a bit......LOL
God bless the barbless hook rule!! :happy:

Kidding aside, I'd be careful with cameras and notebooks even. If (some) people get any sense they're being monitored, it causes unease and if that escalates to feeling threatened, there could be problems. Keeping it on the down-low is highly recommended.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I think that fourth option of yours ortho is the smartest decision to make,observe from a distance ,call the fisheries and wait for them to come,hopfully they come and they teach a few people a lesson :thumbup:

·
Registered
911 Posts
I agree with the fourth also ortho. The days of getting in a mix up are long gone as jim put it, even if you are in the right it'll still cost you. If you stand back and just observe with that type of appearal on I bet youll be suprised how in human nature if we know we are doing somethinng wrong and were caught we'll generally squirel away. If confronted just say your conducting a survey of methods being used on the river. I'm not one to keep shut ,but till they(DFO) get their act together and listen to what we all have been squawkin about for the past few years, all we can do is try and inform ones who are uneducated in their methods, and report the ones that are biligerantly snaggin.
It's tough to bite ones tognue until it bleeds, good luck would love to be your deputy there sheriff
Cheers,
Crazy D

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I kind of agree with the rest, discretion is the better part of valour. The more of us (not just Ortho) who call in complaintgs, the more likelihood of increased funding, increased personnel at DFO, and the increased presence of enforcement on the water. If we all sit on our duffs waiting for someone else to step up, if we all expend our energy bitching online and if we don't make our displeasure known to the appropriate agencies, absolutely nothing will change and we will have no one to blame but ourselves.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It's always amazing to me how events can escalate out of control on the river bank. it's the primary reason i bought a boat and dont fish the vedder anymore.
i go fishing to relax and get in touch with nature, like many do.
two years ago i filmed some people harvesting coho from the spawning stream at the stave. They were catching spawned coho and taking them back repeatedly to a car in the parking lot. They must have caught over 20.

i called DFO, and they took forever. these two people saw me filming and things quickly went sideways. I felt lucky that the confrontation didnt escalate into something involving the rcmp since they had knives and i had a knife as well... As the tragically hip song goes when the appearence of conflict meets the appearence of force. I was lucky that the force that day was the DFO... It would have been nice though to find out what happened to the people when the DFO i assume searched the cooler

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.